An open discussion on what everyone is currently reading. Make recommendations to others, discuss what is new, hot, bestsellers, anything and everything related to books and the authors.

Views: 9654

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just finished Olen Steinhauer's THE TOURIST. My first Steinhauer, and I was mildly disappointed, but I think it has to do with the fact that I haven't read any of the others. The character of Milo Weaver seemed a bit unfinished somehow. 

Reading Don Winslow's SAVAGES. I like it quite a bit, though I think he should hurry things up. The mini-essay on the birth of Mexican drug trade was very interesting, makes me want to read Winslow's POWER OF THE DOG immediately. 

Juri, I had the same response to the The Tourist. It felt oddly disjointed to me. Maybe I was expecting too much because I wanted to like the book. 

Tim, good to hear you appreciated James Lee Burke. I've enjoyed him too and admire his craft. I need to read more of him. 

Good to hear I wasn't alone in this. This was also the first Steinhauer to be translated in Finnish (probably due to the forth-coming film), which makes the book even more isolated.
Finally reading Clancy's DEAD OR ALIVE  100 pages in- it's pretty good
Michael Connelly's The Fifth Witness. Before that i was reading John Grisham's new novel, The Confession. I read it in 3 days. I just couldn't put it down. Both authors are favorites of mine.
that's good news. the fifth witness is on my TBR stack.
Andrea Camilleri  THE TRACK OF SAND.  I love Camilleri.  His books are entirely character-driven. I read them for his Inspector Montalbano, whose lady loves and wonderful Sicilian dinners overshadow even the competent plot handling.
Just finished PM Newton's The School School which I just loved. And have started Katherine Howell's Violent Exposure.

It's been "one of those months" - so I've returned to a favourite old series because I was looking for something engaging, quick and different.  Garry Disher's Wyatt is such a refreshing character - a thief, professional, ruthless, dangerous and absolutely captivating.  So PayDirt - originally published in 1992.

Even given the age, the lack of mobile telephones, gadgets and gizmos really isn't all that obvious - and boy did this gallop along.  Perfect.

Gary Disher - i've always had a tiny bit of a crush om him. 

Me too ... and at the last C&J Festival - when he confessed he was most definitely not a SNAG and renowned for disapproving of his wife and daughter's shopping habits - well grumpy old men can still be crush material :) :) :)

I'm reading Steve Hamilton's The Lock Artist.  I've never read anything else by Hamilton, so I kept an open mind when I cracked open the book.  So far, I've been unable to put it down.  Feels like reading Huck Finn on steroids, with a "Boxman," a mute safe cracker, essentially, who gets into all kinds of scrapes, while unlocking (ha!) his inner self. 

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2019   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service