An open discussion on what everyone is currently reading. Make recommendations to others, discuss what is new, hot, bestsellers, anything and everything related to books and the authors.

Views: 10199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael Connelly, THE DROP.  This Bosch novel is quite good, better than most of the others, I think.  In any case, I can recommend it.

I also just finished 'The Drop'. -Particularly good, as Harry gets to confront (and beat ) some of his old nemesii.  - I like the way Harry has come to terms with his daughter's ambitions. -I can see the possible foundations being laid for a new series ! 

I've just got 'Heaven's Gate' - the latest in the Cork O'Connor series. This is about a part Ojibwe man who has twice been the local sheriff, and now is a PI and a burger haven owner.

(pity I have to finish making my new hallway and kitchen floor this weekend, won't get much reading in - but my wife will be happy !)

Well,  this week i picked 'Private' by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. -I've previously read most of his Alex Cross novels and found them quite entertaining. - NOT so with Private and I'm not really sure why, but the style and writing was almost simplistic compared to his earlier  single written novels - I had to leave it halfway through the second chapter  - 'nuff said' ~

-So no more Patterson/whomever collaborations for me -life is too short for dull books !

On the other hand I REALLY enjoyed my other choice, 'Soft Target' by Stephen Hunter (of 'Bob the Nailer' fame ) Now this book has a real edge, -grittily realistic, and the premise is very scary ! - This whole scenario is a  very worrying one for anybody who knows the terrorist mindset.  -Couldn't put it down - done in a day and a half !

- (and BTW, the hardwood flooring is done, and wife suitably ecstatic )

- -I forgot to mention 'Heaven's Keep'  (my mistake in title last time)- a great story, very typical of this writer, William Kent Krueger, - NOT a happy ending - but very true to modern life.  -I'm very much looking forward to his next, 'Vermilion Drift !

Ahh, good. I have it sitting on my shelf to read.

Someone commented, and I agree with them, that Connelly has the odd bad edition in his Bosch series. The good ones are terrific, the bad ones plod and feel like he had a deadline.

:)  I bet he did.  Publishers are frequently responsible for mediocre books from good authors.

I've been reading Brent Weeks' Night Angel series, very good.

http://tysonadams.com/2012/04/29/book-review-beyond-the-shadows-by-...

I've just started Cut and Run by Matt Hilton. Enjoying so far.

I'm currently reading "The Royal Wulff Murders" by Keith McCafferty. He's a local writer and this is his first novel. So far it's going pretty good. I'm also reading "Dare to Die" by Carolyn Hart on my Kindle. 

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Happy reading!

Penny

Having just finished The Wreckage by Michael Robotham (I know I know... behind as usual) I'm currently reading a debut by local (and this time really local aka Central Goldfields local) author Annie Hauxwell - In Her Blood, set in London, in the Financial World.  After that I'm sorely tempted by Zero Hour in Phnom Penh by Christopher G Moore.

Hi Karen,   - I've read 'Wreckage' recently too and liked it very much. -I particularly like Vincent Ruiz - a very well drawn character.  I would definitely recommend this book .

Thanks Charlie - I agree on Ruiz - somehow I prefer him to O'Loughlin. I've read all of Robotham's series now - The Wreckage is definitely an improvement on the last book.....

You may also like Mark Billingham's books featuring DI Tom Thorne - another rebel.

I do indeed! :)

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service