An open discussion on what everyone is currently reading. Make recommendations to others, discuss what is new, hot, bestsellers, anything and everything related to books and the authors.

Views: 10199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had 4 grandsons keeping me busy, so needed some lighter reading. Quite enjoyed the Sebastian St Cyr books by C.S. Harris. 

Over Christmas / New Year managed to catch up with Pink Tide by Jarad Henry, treated myself to the latest Stuart MacBride, A Song for the Dying, and finished Watching You by Michael Robotham. Now I'm about to start on the latest Peter Corris - Silent Kill.

JH1, how are you liking latest Louise Penny mystery? Do tell.  :-)

Don't like Louise Penny at all. Read one and hated it.

Where Serpents Lie by T. Jefferson Parker. 

I'm about to re-read The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.

Currently rolling around in self-indulgence - Monkey Business by Kathryn Ledson, then In The Morning I'll be Gone by Adrian McKinty, Beams Falling by P.M. Newton and Through the Cracks by Honey Brown... and that's after quite a few other local books as well. 

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, by John Le Carre. The greatest spy novel of all time (apart from mine).

On the second of Craig Johnson's Walt Longmire series,  my best reading find in years.

Modern day westerns turned into crime thrillers.

2/3 into Hill Girl by Charles Williams. This was his breakout novel, many years ago. Sold over a million copies. Read his Hard Case Crime reprint, A Touch of Death, last year, and am enjoying this one even more.

Don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask, but several of the folks on this thread seems to read a book a week--or more. Very impressive to me. I try to read about 1 every two weeks. What's typical for you?

Depends on the week and the books, I can read two in a week if it's good easy reading and I have time on my hands.

One book can take me a week if it's hard going and I'm determined to finish it.

Like Julian said it depends on the time you have for books in the week and what type of book you're reading. You should be able to read, say, Charles Williams or Elmore Leonard, at the rate of 60-80 pages in an hour. You can easily finish a 200-page novel within a day. The trick is to focus on what you're reading. If you're slower than this, pay some attention to the environment - lighting, air, comfort of the chair, noise, etc. For more literary work, it can take an hour to go through 30-50 pages, depending on the above plus your vocabulary. E-books make checking words easier but it still is a distraction if you find that you need to do it often.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service