I know we all have our ups and downs. I know it's part of life. Right. Now that that's out of the way, Let me go on. What I'm getting at is this: I find that blues while writing are worse than having the blues when you're not writing--I find them more worrying? See what I mean?
Over to you guys.

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Usually it means I need some kind of change of scenery - a different writing project, one that seems more "fun" or just for me, in other words. Or, writing in a different venue. (Coffee shops are a treat for my work-at-home-mom self.) If that doesn't work, a few hours in the garden, at the park with my kids, or generally being out and about.

If none of that works? I keep the computer off for a day or two, focus on my family and housework, and spend my "spare" time reading. That recharges my batteries once and for all. (I do think it's important to be in the habit of writing every day, but I also think that once you've established that habit, it's also important to know yourself and your limitations.)

Take care. Hope the blues don't last long.
thank you very much Christa. I will do that. very good advice. i'm lucky--usually the downer periods don't last more than a day. thank goodness. my husband comes home early evening, and he's such an innocent, happy laid back guy that i don't have the heart to look like death warmed over if you know what i mean. so that helps. again, thanks!
thanks Margot. you do suffer from it? i feel for you. I had bad depression after my Mother died, so believe me. I know how it feels. it ain't the blues! thanks for that. i was just outside reading. it's actually sunny today! just for laughs look for the weather forecasts for northern england. wakefield area. bbc weather is good for that. and you'll see what i put up with. sometimes i can't remember the last warm sunny day we had and that's in August! i have a confession though, when i do read--it's always for my writing. whether it's novels or how to books or books for research! idiot nerd that I am. by the way. your dog is sane, sitting there peacefully at your side. my lunatics aren't. the little one jumps up on to me with no warning! well, it makes me laugh--until i realize i better check he hasn't knocked any of my teeth out. i'll check on stardust by the way!
thanks so much. you have me laughing. buddy sounds great. Penny bit two people. one was the postman and he was across the street at the time! she got away from me. didn't break the skin but i wanted to die.
then she tried the same thing with some hapless workman who was NOWHERE near our house! she's been good lately. what with waddling around with all the puppies she's got in her tummy. very subdued. little Indiana is a lunatic, but he's happy and gentle and i can't say no to him. doormat syndrome! thanks again for your posts. love them. all the best. can't comfort eat. do that anyway!
Hi Carol,

No, I can't say I ever have the blues while writing, unless I'm writing about something sad, whether true or fictional. Doing the First Draft of anything is just plain slogging hard work. At least for me. But once I have that done then the fun begins. The revising, rewriting, moving stuff around, adding a bit of color here and there, cranking up the tension -- or easing it off, trying new words to say the same thing, and polishing, polishing, polishing. But having the blues about writing, or while I'm writing, no. And that's from someone who has a deeply rooted, persistent, and wholly inherited tendency toward depression.
Russ
russsheitz.com
myspace.com/russheitz
thank you. I had suffered from depression a number of years ago after my Mother died, but not since. when i meant the blues i just meant feeling totally fed up. (never for once thinking of giving up), just feeling draggy and low. are you sure about that tendency? you sound like an upbeat guy! so it's going to get to be fun? great! truthfully, I do have fun with it. i throw myself into it especially when writing dialogue. (my favorite thing)--and it's fun to be a tough female P.I. in the 1940;s or a few other characters. so i know what you mean it can be fun. it's just so much work! daunting. i think also, russ, i was over doing it for a while. working on it ten hours a day type thing. stupid. anyway thanks so much for your post.
thank you. It's seven thirty am, my husband just left for work. checked dog, she's not in labor yet, so I am already at lap top. and i'm listening to that wonderful link for the radio program. Thanks it's great
My very un-touchy-feely response is this - it sucks when I'm writing, it sucks when I'm not. Generally speaking, I'd rather work through the suckage and have words on the page than have it suck slightly less with no words on the page. Doesn't always work out that way - sometimes I have to step back - but I try not to do that too often. It's usually just fear and anxiety (and I'm not belittling any of that) that I'll feel regardless of whether I'm writing or worrying about writing. Um...that was as clear as something not very clear, huh?
Oh my God, I see your point! it's original, too! never quite looked at it that way. yeah, I'd probably feel yucky even if I wasn't getting something done. okay. granted, but I was thinking the other day anyway, that maybe i was just getting down about my writing--you know good days, bad days, and I wanted so magical formal to banish bad writing days. but it doesn't work like that! I certainly am going to use what you say. I like it, Angie! i would rather have words! thanks.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service