The story's here: http://www.npr.org/tablet/#story/?storyId=128635547

Oh, the times they are a-changin'...

Let's try another link: http://www.npr.org/tablet/#story/?storyId=128635547

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't say I like what you say about older folks. (Speaking as an older folk). And no, we don't like forking over our hard-earned money to buy the kids luxuries. In the present climate, we may need every penny of it ourselves.
As an author, are you prepared not to have people buy your books unless you become another Stephen King? Because that is pretty much what is happening.
Reading is a luxury.

Actually, Stacy, I would have to differ with you quite strongly on that point. I think reading IS a necessity, on all sorts of levels. If you don't read, you will have a very narrow mind and not much of a world view, because you sure as heck can't rely on TV to get the truth. So I approve of whatever enables everyone to read, and to read whatever they want to read. Reading develops the imagination, expands our boundaries--puts us in touch with other minds and ideas. With history. May---should--- make us more compassionate human beings. Yes. Reading is ESSENTIAL. If it is considered a luxury only, we...are.. ....."subsitute appropriate word."

Art, alas (my avocation) is now considered a luxury---well, owning it, anyway. But since for me making it is a necessity---I'll just continue to do that.
Reading is a luxury compared to the other examples Stacy cited; those are necessities of life. You don't have food, clothing, a place to sleep, then your ability to develop a well-rounded world view is already seriously impaired, doesn't matter how much (or what) you read.

Also, we're a community of crime writers and readers. While many of us like to find some social relevance in what we read and write, what we do is essentially entertainment. There are people out there for whom buying books truly is an unaffordable luxury, which is why we need to keep a healthy library system.
This is an affluent society. Consider how many people wouldn't dream of being without a TV or a cell phone.
Consider how many people wouldn't dream of being without a TV or a cell phone.

That's just about everybody, from what I've observed.
We need to adjust what we think of as "necessities." :)
Food, yes. Shelter---yes. Gas---I wish there were another answer to that one!
Reading is a luxury compared to the other examples Stacy cited; those are necessities of life.

Yes, I understand the point that Stacy was making. But reading should not be a privilege only for the well to do. If e-books make it possible, and libraries---then that's fine with me.

And yes, reading crime fiction is "entertainment." But I still maintain that any and ALL reading is better for the mind than TV. And if people can afford TVs---and most will find a way to get one no matter what---they should also be able to afford books.
Hmm. The cost of cable, HBO, and sports channels is so high that poor families could single-handedly lift the ailing publishing business out of its decline. Just think, what the middle class and the wealthy could do for us. And the "devices" necessary for TV viewing, such as those huge flat screens are pretty costly also.
The cost of cable, HBO, and sports channels is so high that poor families could single-handedly lift the ailing publishing business out of its decline.

It goes up every year---yet you get less and less. Yet people still want it. Actually, the cost of new flat screen TVs and devices is coming down, a lot.

It's much more important for families to have TVs and all the mindless entertainment it provides than it is to have books, alas. It's status, too. And, for many---"company." Feeling lonely? Put on the TV! Then there will be someone talking in the house. For some, that's better than silence, or their own thoughts. Although if you do go without it for awhile, as we've been doing (getting news by internet, and watching only what we want on DVD), you realize how awful it is. The babble. The hype. Mind-numbing. And the ads! My lord, what nonsense!
Too true, both the companionship and the babble. :)
we don't have the right to expect and dictate a reader's habits. Readers can buy what they want for the price they want in my opinion.

Thank goodness! I'm glad we still have some rights left in this country!
Frankly, I think we should be a bit skeptical with the Amazon numbers. Self-promotion by Amazon is a wonderful tool.
If there is something seriously wrong with the numbers, somebody is already checking. I don't think Amazon can afford to fudge that sort of thing too much.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service