Begged, bought, stole or borrowed - what's your last 5 books acquisitions?

The last 5 books I've added to my library are........

Ed O'Loughlin - Toploader

Michael Dobbs - The Reluctant Hero

Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Played With Fire

Douglas Lindsay - Lost In Juarez

William McIllvanney - Laidlaw

I've read two Lindsay books recently and this one was on Amazon for less than the price of a decent coffee.

Re Larsson - my son (and myself) read the first in the trilogy last year and he was looking for something else to read so I got him this.

Toploader is blurbed as a Catch22 type anti-Iraq war novel, plus it had a pretty funky cover.

Dobbs was an impulse purchase, thriller-type prison rescue book, from author of House of Cards political intrigue series.

McIllvanney's Laidlaw, I read somewhere recently was the original Tartan Noir novel, published back in the late 70's, it piqued my interest enough for me to go track it down.

When I get round to reading these 5 is another story! 

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice to have a change of pace sometimes,

A small bit of advice - stop at Sword of Honour

The books since 1999 just aren't as good IMHO

Just finished these five on my beach vacation. Liked them all, although Flynn's Gone Girl is definitely something very special.

AFFAIR by Lee Child

GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn

STAY CLOSE by Harlan Coben

SENTRY by Robert Crais

TAKEN by Robert Crais

The Kent books not having arrived, I struggled with Harlan Coben's CAUGHT for about 120 pages.  I don't like his characters and couldn't seem to care about the confusing disappearances.  No idea why this man is a best-selling author.

Will move on to Olen Steinhauer's THE AMERICAN SPY.

I agree to a point -- his characters and plots remind me of TV stuff, somewhat superficial and not too original. But the characters keep me interested (in STAY CLOSE it was the ex-stripper, now a well-off suburban housewife, who misses the nightlife and still wonders what really happened that night 20 years ago) and the story keeps building to a good twist (at least in what I've read). Yes, IJ, it's fluff, but I found them entertaining on the beach. :-) So I definitely understand why he sells.

Well, you may be right.  It's also a matter of taste perhaps.  I have a strong preference for foreign police procedurals.

K.O.Dahl - LETHAL INVESTMENTS

Andrea Camilleri - VOICE OF THE VIOLIN

Qiu Xiaolong - LOYAL CHARACTER DANCER

C.S.Harris - WHAT ANGELS FEAR

Batya Gur - THE SATURDAY MORNING MURDER

The first three are from series.  Once I find a book I like, I work my way through his/her

works (even when they're not a series).

Camilleri is my favorite!  Will check out some of the others.

I can offer you the crime novel An Adventure in Indianapolis, because I wrote it.

To directly answer your question: I have bought 4 of the 5 books I have read the most of recently.  1 was given to me.  None of them are fiction.  I do not view any of them as being 'ordinary' either.  3 are about rituals, 1 is about metallurgy, and the other one is about the relationship of a spiritual teacher and disciple. 

I am working on another book, but it is an SF novel.

There is a recent book released 'by me' but it is a very short nonfiction introductory philosophy book, and not one of the novels.  How odd.

I hope I did not offend you....Just trying to play along here, at least a bit.

I listen to alot of audio books and I get them from the public library. But here's a list:

1. Altered Carbon, Richard K. Morgan

2. Shimmer, David Morrel

3. Predator Strike!, Liam Saville (actually read that one)

4. The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett

5. The  Rope, Nevada Barr (actually reading that one right now)

I'm so glad you mentioned Altered Carbon.  Is Science Fiction Noir a genre?

Other notable titles from Morgan are Woken Furies, Market Forces, and

The 1rte3n.

Latest 5 books: it is an odd combo:

1) Roman Rituals (Catholic Rites for basic priest duties in 3 volumes)

2) Metallurgy - a university level introductory textbook.  I only went for this level because I have a BS degree as well as having had plenty of science in high school. 

3) German language lesson books for learning German as a second language while an adult, or at least high school aged person.

4) a book about the Tibetan's and now sometimes other nations' methods for having a healthy relationship between a spiritual teacher and a disciple.  (this is an important Christian issue as well, but I have not seen how that relationship is talked about or explained between Jesus and the church and the clergy and scriptures...I think maybe I have some idea, but have never seen the entire issue handled with the quality of systematic clarity shown in this book - even though it is about some Buddhists)

5) a book by a guy from Tibet who works as a cleric and spiritual teacher.  Somehow he could write the bulk of it in English but had the sense to get help from someone else with better English - or had no choice, it was edited by another but virtually all professionally published works are.

That's actually it.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2017   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service