I've begun reading Carl Hiassen and wonder what other people believe are the 'funniest' or 'most humorous' crime novels out there. Steve Hamilton's stuff is great as well, but I feel like I'm missing out on a bunch.
Any ideas?

Views: 13976

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A million people will echo this, but I got here first: Donald Westlake's Dortmunder books. Tight and creative plots that never get in the way of the humor. Hiassen is a riot--i read everything he writes--but his plots are driven by the comedy, which is fine in comedy. (Witness South Park, Family Guy, and The Simpsons.) Westlake's plots would work as straight caper stories, but they're laugh out loud funny. His death was a great loss.
I'm mighty fond of Westlake's Money for Nothing, a stand alone.
That name comes up a lot and, somehow, I have never read his work. I will now.
My personal favorite Westlake is WHAT'S THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN? The movie was an abomination; the book is a lot of fun, as Dortmunder becomes obsessed with getting something back that was taken from him for a change.
R.D.Wingfield's Jack Frost series.
That Loomis guy writes some funny stuff, they say. They don't always know what they're talking about, though.
Geoff McGeachin's Fat, Fifty & F*$#@d is hilarious - an Aussie caper novel. His Alby Murdoch spy series is a hoot: D.E.D. Dead, Sensitive New Age Spy, and Dead and Kicking.

I'm a big fan of his work too. Although I can see his uber-Aussie style going over like a lead balloon with Americans.

Speaking of, JA Konrath does a decent job of crime and comedy. I liked his Whiskey Sour and Shaken books.

Westlake, may he rest in peace, was a huge influence on my novel NUCLEAR WINTER WONDERLAND. Dave Barry's BIG TROUBLE was a hoot as well (although the movie was a muddle of a pig sty of a mess).
I now have Westlake, Corin, and this Loomis guys stuff on hold at the library. I'm one of those people who gets books out, reads a bit of them (or all of them) then buys them if they are something I am really enjoying or want to own. This has saved me from some mistakes as far as it goes with authors I really like (Pelecanos) who put out books now and then that just don't appeal to me. It also means that I end up buying more books than I need. But, then, how many books do we 'need'?
Books to a writer are like guns to Phil Gramm. "I probably got more than I need, but not as many as I want."

(Note to non-American Crimespacers: Phil Gramm is an American politician and ardent foe of any and all gun control legislation. He was also the architect of many of the banking policies that have led to the current state of affairs. You're welcome. To him, I mean.)
Let's make him our next victim.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service