Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This was bound to happen. Thanks for the link.
It's a great idea, and it's time has come, since e-books now have a sizeable share of the market.
Someday soon, the New York Times bestseller list will be an online digital file, reporting sales for digital books. Print books will be the afterthought.
http://ljsellers.com
Yeah!
While this is a good thing for eBooks.....The tough part is to keep getting the word out to readers in the form of reviews. There are still a few dozen new books that come out every single week and it's tough for a reader, eager to BUY a book (wether its a paper version or eBook version), to decide on which one to get. After all there is only so much time in the day to read excerpts and reviews (what few there are these days)

Even before eBooks were getting started, newspapers treated the Book section (as well as the reviews within) as badly as the comics section. (USE as LITTLE space as possible)

While its great their going to make an inch or two of space ON the page FOR eBooks (if only the current top best sellers) maybe they could consider a half a page for two or three reviews OF eBooks. Specifically new books that didn't quite make it TO the top ten list but might still be worth buying.

Or maybe they would just assume that readers will see a good review for a hardcover and if they choose to do so-- they'll buy the eBook version instead of the HC

See, I had read that newspapers were really getting tough on the space they were eating up each day and book reviews were getting slaughtered. Maybe the editor (especially the few who want to hang onto the book review section) will make sure there is space reserved for (at the very LEAST......) the web version of the newspaper, since that, in and of itself, doesn't require any paper.

This transition from print to digital keeps getting more and more interesting as each month passes. Good thread!
Absolutely agree on the desperate need for more reviews.
I agree, it's important that reviews get some space in the digital universe, too.
Like someone said today in another forum, the same authors who are on the list in print will probably be the same authors on the list in ebooks. In another forum they were discussing that they doubt the NYT would consider smaller epublishers or straight epublishers. I gotta say I agree. Even though it's good for them to count ebooks now, I don't see this being a chance for those authors who only publish ebooks to compete. All they are gonna do is count the ebooks from Random House, Simon and Schuster, and the other big companies. Regular e-publishers won't even be on their radar I bet. I doubt the NYT will add ebooks that aren't available through the bigger pubs. And I'm not talking about those big ebook companies that only publish romance and erotica. Those pubs are huge in the digital world but I doubt NYT is gonna be picking any of them.

I could be wrong but I bet we're gonna get more of the same on the list, just that it will be ebooks. It'll be the same authors on the e-list as it is on their print list.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net
Yes, that's probably true. People who own e-readers will inform themselves on the Internet about what the top print sellers are and buy those in electronic format. Some print publishers try to avoid this competition by releasing e-books a year after the print release. I'm not sure that is a good move. I would probably get the print version from the library long before the e-version is out.

In any case, I think the normal search process leads to Amazon where you can choose from various formats of each title. That means Kindle will remain in the forefront. Amazon offers in-house publicity and recommendations for similar books. That, too should be helpful for authors.

One must hope!
I agree, I.J.!

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service