OK, I've broken down and started a facebook page. Anybody here on the dreaded facebook network? I'd like to add you, if so. My page is at:

http://www.facebook.com/minerva.koenig

although it's pretty lame at present. I'm still trying to figure out how to work most of the damned thing...

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recently broke down and joined Facebook. I like it more than I thought I would.
I'm on FaceBook. And I gotta say I've found myself in some interesting conversations and made some fun acquaintances.
OK, I've had some time to fool around with facebook, and I don't get it. What's the big deal? I found some old college friends, but other than that I'm kind of stumped as to what the site is supposed to be used for. It's kind of the same way I feel about twitter. I mean, I've got my blog, for anybody who wants to know what I'm up to lately, and facebook strikes me as just another website that I'll have to waste time updating. Am I just too old to grok the appeal of sites like this?
It's a nice way to keep in touch with old friends, if you're so inclined. It creates the pleasant illusion that you're involved in their lives.
Well, you can rest assured that I don't make any money out of this place .... and I'm a geek! :)
YOU are our FAVOURITE geek, Daniel H.! Thank you!
What Donna said!
Yeah Danl' but your our special geek.
T.
Dan--I think there is a little more to Facebook than just to enrich its owners. Several people on my web site have steered me to both publishers I should contact, and to several books I should read. It also has probably sold a couple of my books thru indirect means (no, I have no emperical evidence on this--just a gut feeling).

If I continue to write books (and that's a given) and they do well with reviews, I suspect being on this site is going to see more books being sold. And let's face it---sooner or later it is quite possible for a lit agent or big named editor to come along and become interested (this last point is just as viable as sending out random letters to agents and editors and letting them stack it on top of the thousands of others waiting in the slush pile).
I'm on Facebook. It's allowed me to connect with some old friends I haven't seen in a long time, but I haven't seen much value from the book promotion standpoint. I haven't gone through my address book and solicited friends, but a lot of people have found me. You can add me, if you wish - Kris Neri. If you don't want to, I won't care.

One friend of mine keeps buying me rounds. If they were real, I'd love it, but I'm not sure what value these virtual rounds have. I also keep getting hit with pillows in pillow fights. And I've yet to figure out what giving a friend a poke means.

Unless you're a big name with lots of fan traffic, I think it's pretty useless.
Someone posted on Blog Book Tours that when you succumb to the quizzes, food fights, etc., on FB - any of those annoying features that take you to an acknowledgment page where you have to give permission for them to access your data - it opens you up to a whole host of worms and viruses that can wreak havoc with your computer. Don't know if it's true, but it's enough to make me avoid that stuff.

I'm finding FB useful in directing people to my blog. I always include my link. I've also learned to hide posts from certain friends. The "hide" option comes up when you hover to the right of the person's name. You can always unhide them later, and they won't know you've banned them. I'm fairly ruthless in doing this with the "friends" who keep posting inane stuff like "I desperately need a cup of coffee," as well as those who send too many quizzes and junk! This keeps the posts I see down to a manageable size - so far.

Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso
Friend request sent.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service