Mysteries are best in the first or third omniscient voice?

In my reading group, there has developed a school of thought that claims that the best ever mysteries are in the first voice, private PI type thingy. Personally, I go with PD James, Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie,  Their Third voice omniscient has produce far more intriguing plots than any other. I also think the best Thrillers and suspense novels are in the third voice, Silence of the Lambs, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Frankenstein, and the like. This may be a matter or preference, but I am sensing there is something to it. What do you think?

Views: 280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So what's your motivation for posting them here, again? And no, my agent and editor aren't feeding me wrong information.
Hey, I thought you may want to know. My bad. Have a nice day.
This comes strictly from being extremely bias. THIRD. I say that only because of my hate for first person, LOL.

Seriously it depends on the story and what the author feels is best but I avoid first person as a rule. I've never enjoyed a first person book I've read except maybe two of the classics and one modern day book in first.

I love third person because you can see so many different scenes and things going on at once. I also find that most first person novels focuses on some arrogant, know-it-all MC I can't stand and therefore won't wanna go through the entire book looking through their eyes.

With third I have options, LOL.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service