Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He has glue all over his books. Pick it up and can't put it down.

So sad. I Think I'll get started on the RAYLAN novel of his I've been meaning to get to. A real master who will be missed.

It's been on the back of my mind for awhile now, but you've inspired me to get a copy, David. Thanks!

You inspired me to get on to Raylan as well. I really enjoyed it, but found the POV a little disorienting at times. It sounded like Raylan telling it all, but seemed like omniscient too. 

How did you find the novel? Any insight into the POV he used?

RAYLAN isn't my favorite Leonard, in part for the reasons you mentioned.

He was definitely a great writer; not one of my favorites though.  Maybe because of an experience I had with him once.

About 25 years ago when I had my first go at trying to make a living in this racket, I met him at a signing in Newburyport, MA.  There were only a few people who showed up; the weather was bad.  I waited till everyone was done and then approached him; he was not going anywhere.  After he signed my book, I screwed up my courage and told him I was an aspiring crime writer.  He mumbled something.  I tried several more times but all I got out of him were..."hmms."  Finally I walked away with out even a "Good-bye" or Good Luck."  He sat there alone for the next half hour before getting up to leave.

It's something that I felt deeply for some reason at the time and I've never forgotten it.  Occasionally people actually engage me in person or email because they've read a book or story I've written.  Because of my experience with Leonard, I've committed myself to never ignoring and always treating with respect any one who approaches me about my work, unless of course I'm on fire.

I guess Elmore Leonard taught me a big lesson, now that I think of it.

Thanks for posting, Jed. That's a good lesson for us all. 

I take everyone seriously and answer all questions to the best of my ability. Luckily, I have been a salesman, and this has helped me immensely at signings. I had a very good one last Friday.

Leonard was truly an original voice, but I wasn't a big fan, for some reason, and only ever read one novel (Stick) cover to cover. On the other hand, Hombre is one of the best westerns I've ever seen.

If you get the chance, I'd suggest trying the original 3:10 to Yuma as well, Eric.

If you liked the movie HOMBRE, read the book. it's very short, a quick read, and might be the best thing Leonard ever wrote.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service