Translation of Peter Temple's Truth in Greek, discussion - feedback

First of all I have to introduce myself.

I am George, 33, noir aficionado and translator by profession.

I 've done some titles by now, notably Burroughs' Junky, Naked Lunch, Queer and Hippos (in collaboration with Kerouac of course), Klimowski's Horace Dorlan graphic novel. Done a couple others as well.

I am currently working on translating Peter Temple's Truth in Greek, due for publication in the early summer. 

The reason for this thread is simple: as is the case with every book, there are blurry parts that are open for interpretation, while the use of Aussie language can be a sticking point. I am requesting your help and insight as native English speakers and experienced readers concerning lines that have me doubting.

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated, that said I am starting right now with the first installment!

PAGE 2: "Certainly passed on that shit-riding talent".

It the scene where Biskerts has described his grandpa's toilet bowl adventure. I have tried to make sense of what "shit-riding" is supposed to mean there but to no avail. Open for suggestions.

PAGE 13: "On the radio, Alan Machin, 3AR's drive man, said"

I have been trying to figure out what drive man means and I can only make educated guesses. Since 3AR is a radio station he must be something of a presenter. Haven't found what "drive man" is supposed to mean yet though.

PAGE 35: "He drank from the tap. The rainwater tasted ancient, of zinc nails held in the mouth"

Any ideas concerning this TAP would be appreciated. Why would a tap produce rainwater. I suppose it's something else but don't know what.

PAGE 55: "Security bloke shot him through the right cheek. Six years for that, Andrew, came out in 2002"

I am suspecting that ANDREW is some kind of jail but I went through all the Australian correctional institutions list and found no resembling name. Am i missing something?

PAGE 66: Talking about gathering information, Villani and Dance:

"How'd you get this?"

"The ether".

I suppose this ETHER is some kind of information network? Cannot make much of it.

PAGE 80: "This is drugs, it's like spit, no natural end. You 'll never nail anyone who matters"

IT'S LIKE SPIT. I do not know what to make of this simile. Does he mean that there is an ever-flowing supply of drugs? Opinions accepted.

That's it for now. Any feedback would be hugely appreciated since it would make my rendering the original more precise. I know I am mainly addressing people who have already read the book but feel free to contribute anyway.

My regards

G.

Views: 465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is probably difficult without the context. It occurs to me that you, as the official translator, should be able to ask these questions of the author. I know I had to field questions from translators in two instances.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service