I'm currently enjoying both Longmire based on the Craig Johnson series and the new King & Maxwell based on David Baldacci's series of books.

I've not read either series. Can anyone tell me if they have, are they similar to the TV series and if not better or worse and why?

Thanks

David DeLee

Views: 1106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have to disagree.  The Quirke series may not be strong on plot, but in using the crime novel as a means of exploring post-WW2 Ireland, it's unique.  If you haven't read it, please do try Banville's 'The Untouchable', a brilliant re-imagining of the Cambridge spy ring from the thinly-disguised POV of Sir Anthony Blunt, the so-called 'fourth man'. 

I also think that the Dalgleish novels have a deeper resonance - asking questions about the nature and existence of 'evil' as a human trait. PD James asks whether there is a battle between good and evil, or between honesty and dishonesty - between absolutes or relatives.  Though I'll admit that too often her dramatic finales are contrived.

Ah, yes, but others have also explored post-WW2 Ireland. In fact, thre are quite a few good Irish novels out.

And exploring the nature and existence of evil as a human trait (in whatever dimension) is surely what every half decent crime novel does.

I tend to judge books by the way character is handled, and Dalgleish is a big disappointment. Can't remember any of Banville's characters (and that's surely a bad sign).

My all time, hands-down favorite series is Nero Wolfe (Chaykin/Hutton) from the many books by Rex Stout. A&E did a fantastic job bringing Stout's words to video. Only two seasons were filmed before A&E decided to abandon Arts and Entertainment for wall to wall reality shows and a matching clientele.

Of the many incarnations of Holmes, Jeremy Brett is of course the standard. However, a Russian version is even better, heresy not intended. The relationship between Holmes and Watson in this version is much less condescending and shows a true friendship and gentle humor. The set of 6 discs is on Amazon and comes with English subtitles. The theme music is hypnotic.

Of course there is Cumberbatch the heartthrob and his very excellent version of Sherlock in today's London. Unfortunately, they make just three shows per season and then there is absolutely nothing for a year. Presently we are awaiting the outcome of the Reichenbach tragedy.

There is an American counterpart "Elementary" with Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu, as a female Dr Watson, set in present day NYC. This is an unexpectedly excellent show. Elementary airs weekly episodes and is now in it's second season.

Murdoch, a Canadian effort is nice but a little preachy.  Also has a female Watson and dabbles in some romance.

After seeing several episodes of "Miss Fisher" I thought the mysteries probably tolerable. My primary focus was on Miss Fishers clothes and hats  -  a study in Art Deco elegance and sophistication. This program comes from Australia.

There are never too many takes on the classics. Some are even good and I include in this Dickens' Christmas Carol.

I hear King & Maxwell TV series is gone.  I thought it was pretty good.  Wonder why they pulled the plug?

Very likely the reason is an agreement or a contract ran out. 

I was sorry to see it go, too. I'm sure it just wasn't getting the ratings. 

I read some articles from 2012 that said there was going to be a TV series based on Karin Slaughter's character, Will Trent. Does anyone know if that actually happened?

I haven't heard about that, but it sounds like it would be interesting.

I do know Michael Connolly is working with Amazon Prime to bring Harry Bosch to the screen. The pilot is in the can and should be available soon through Prime. I might actually have to get Prime to see this if it becomes a series.

This is wonderful news.

I've read several of the Longmire books and watched the series. I like them both, though they are intentionally different from each other. You might be interested to know that Craig Johnson says that he he felt like he'd really met Longmire come to life when he met Robert Taylor. And he loves the show. 

One of the most tragic TV interpretations of a book detective is the Spenser series. It started out with some potential, but it ended up being poorly written and quite cheesy. And it got worse with the later TV movie incarnations. The Joe Montegna version, though done very cheaply, were truer to the feeling of the character, despite the fact that Montegna looks absolutely nothing like the real Spenser. I think CBS did a better job of depicting Parker's Jesse Stone in the Paradise movie series starring Tom Selleck. 

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service