As a way of celebrating the joining of the 1000th member, CrimeSpace is proud to open its first short story competition. The plan is to run this heist every year, with the entries being crime fiction based around a theme.
To kick it off, this year's theme is 'Australia'.
How you include it is up to you. Your story could be set in Australia, have an Australian character in it, or simply mention Australia somewhere in the story. Hell, even including an Aussie cultural icon such as Vegemite will do. Entries must be no more than 2,500 words, including the title.
Get cracking. The deadline is January 31st, 2008.
1st Place: $50 Amazon voucher, CrimeSpace T-shirt or store item, and a pack of three signed crime fiction books by Australian authors in a CrimeSpace tote bag.
2nd Place: $25 Amazon voucher, CrimeSpace T-shirt or store item
3rd Place: CrimeSpace T-shirt or store item
1. The competition is open to crime fiction stories based around the theme, 'Australia', with no more than 2,500 words, including the title. Entries outside the word limitation or not including the theme will be disqualified.
2. Entry is only open to members of CrimeSpace, excepting judges and administrators. Only one entry per member.
3. Entries must be sent as RTF, Word .DOC, or PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words 'CRIMESPACE SHORT STORY ENTRY 2008' in the subject heading. Documents must include the title of the story and be formatted using a 12 point font (Times New Roman/Courier/Arial), double-spaced, with an extra line break to denote paragraphs. The document must not have any text identifying the author. Include the title, word count, your CrimeSpace member name and your postal address in the body of the email. Any entries not conforming to these rules will be disqualified. You will receive a confirmation email for your entry.
4. All entries must be in any dialect of English, original, unpublished, and not submitted or accepted elsewhere at the time of submission or posted on the Internet in any form. Entrants will retain copyright to their submission, but may be asked to participate in an anthology.
5. Entries must be received by 11:59PM EST, January 31st, 2008. Any entries received after this time will be disregarded.
6. Entries will be separated into a short list and given to a panel of judges who will chose the winners. The judges' names will not be revealed until the announcement of the results.
7. Winners will be notified and announced on CrimeSpace on March 31st, 2008. If you have not been contacted by this date, you may assume that your entry is not a winner and may be marketed elsewhere. No other correspondence will be entered into.