Writer's Den (487)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Writing a POV character of the opposite gender

Ok, so I just finished reading Megan Abbott's THE SONG IS YOU, and I just loved it! One of the many things that Megan does well in this boo…

Started by Brian Thornton

26 Apr 9, 2007
Reply by Frank Zafiro

Do you soundtrack?

I'm thinking I can pose this question to both writers and readers... Do you think in terms of soundtracks for the books you read, or wri…

Started by Christa M. Miller

45 Apr 5, 2007
Reply by Todd Robinson

And That Would Be Your Associate In The Wood Chipper?

You've just killed victim #6 with a garden weasel. But before you can crack open that Miller for a job well done, you've got to hide the bo…

Started by Stephen Blackmoore

26 Apr 4, 2007
Reply by Nikki Dolson

The Good Old Stuff

When I started to get seriously interested in mysteries, I wanted to read everything. I knew that wasn't possible, of course, but I made a…

Started by Bill Crider

21 Mar 31, 2007
Reply by Ron Smyth

Delusion

I'm working on a short story right now in which the protagonist's self delusion is an important part of the story's irony and resolution. S…

Started by p. b. smith

1 Mar 30, 2007
Reply by Laura Benedict

Villains

Christa Miller brought up a good point earlier, that writers are sometimes like method actors. We try to get inside our characters' heads,…

Started by Jude Hardin

15 Mar 30, 2007
Reply by Jude Hardin

Writing or rewriting?

Charles Willeford died 19 years ago yesterday (March 27), so I found myself reading bits of Don Herron's excellent Willeford bio. A piece o…

Started by Duane Swierczynski

29 Mar 30, 2007
Reply by JackBludis

I posted this as a blog post, but...

used to read the Hardy Boys and Sherlock Holmes. That inspired my love of mysteries. But I'm realizing more and more that after elementary…

Started by Dave White

2 Mar 28, 2007
Reply by Dave White

Writing Naked

I can’t remember the exact age this happens--probably 3 or 4--but at some point we all become aware of our nakedness. It’s no longer all ri…

Started by Jude Hardin

15 Mar 28, 2007
Reply by Jude Hardin

Keeping the Backstory Dynamic

In trying to write my first novel, I find keeping the back story from lapsing into a dull narrarive is difficult. I am trying to keep the b…

Started by Patricia Abbott

16 Mar 28, 2007
Reply by Jannie Balliett

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service