Hey all, I'm helping with the publicity for Left Coast Crime in Denver in '08. What I'd love to know is what elements make a wonderful convention -- and what elements make one suck?
Sure, I'm looking for ideas to use as springboards for the publicity for this particular event, but I'm also just plain curious.
1. strong mix of "fans" and readers
2. big name authors (GIVE ME SOME NAMES THAT MAKE A CON GOOD!)
3. emphasis on fun
4. cross-genre panels
5. unexpected panels
6. hotel with a BIG, comfortable bar
7. good restaurants in hotel and surrounding area -- BUT I think that if the surrounding area is too interesting, people won't stick around for the convention but will go discovering and that's detrimental
8. a pleasant hospitality room so that everyone has a place to hang out
9. the appearance of organization (hey, it can be insanity, but if it looks like it's all under control, that's what counts, IMHO)