I just read a review of a book--wherein this word, "over-written" is used to describe books that are seen in a negative light--bloated is another word that is mentioned. That I understand. I like lean plots myself--no padding or unnecessary and or irrelevant wordage--which can be rambling and distract from the core points of the story.
But as for something being over-written--can't say that I have heard the expression much--perhaps only once.
Does it mean too wordy, too descriptive--if it does, isn't that the same as bloated?
What does it mean to you guys?
And thanks!

Views: 480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks Roger.
Just want to tell you about a book I got.
I find it very helpful.
It's really good for when you begin your self-editing.
Literay Agent Noah Lukeman wrote a book called The First Five Pages.
it's not literally about the first five pages--the point is that editors and others rarely look past the first five, and mostly a lot fewer pages--before tossing our golden child onto the reject pile.
I find the book amazing. I think reading a book an Agent wrote is extremely helpful. we should know as much as possible about what works and what doesn't work. Kidding ourselves is just not going to help.
Got the book through Amazon uk. read half of it yesterday. it's really worth it.
Cheers Carole, I'll look out for that.

My own opinion though is that I feel agents are often over-cautious about their opinions on a new writer's work.
Obviously, I feel that my material or idea is strong enough and original enough to warrant a better degree of review than it's likely to get! But, obviously others feel differently! I've had people I hardly know read some of my short stories, and they've liked them, both from a reader's perspective as well as fellow writers.

I'm working on a science fiction story at the moment, which inbcorporates some crime as well, but the two police officers have also now been given a story all to themselves in another novel I'm building. It's funny how creating characters for one story, have grown in such a short time in my imagination, to warrant me generating a story for them! Crazzee! But then that's how my mind works.

I'm going to seek out that book. Thanks once again.

Roger
you're very welcome
and the best of luck, Roger.
that books is a tough, no nonsense book.
I'm going through my m.s. now with a samuri sword.
I realize that I can easily go overboard, but I'm trying not to.
I just feel that there's no point in my kidding myself about what's going to be marketable and what isn't.
truthfully, even before I read his book, I cut pages and characters because they weren't really integral.
I don't believe in a wasted word, let alone a paragraph.
having said that, it's crime fiction--I don't think it applies to other fiction. Your writing might be a slightly different genre than mine. so take it with the old pinch of s.
but read it anyway. i think it's a must.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service