An open discussion on what everyone is currently reading. Make recommendations to others, discuss what is new, hot, bestsellers, anything and everything related to books and the authors.

Views: 9653

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

re: Kiss and Tell by TJ Cooke, saw your comment Sammy and I agree, it is very good indeed. I saw a review by a writer for The Times  who described it as a real page turner and he's right.

Finished Reliquary by Preston and Child, another of their great Pendergast novels.

About half-way through Karin Slaughter's Fallen. Quite enjoying her work so far. TJ was it you that mentioned you didn't like her writing? Was that just a series or her style or a later/earlier book?

It might have been me.  KISSCUT by Slaughter did not meet with my approval because it blatantly exploited certain themes to sell.  That tends to make a book dishonest in the way it depicts the world, not because such atrocities don't happen, but because their abundance in one given locale is exaggerated.  I also consider it cheap because the author only cares about marketability.

AMEN

Books To Die For, edited by John Connolly and Declan Burke. Over a hundred crime fiction writers contributed short essays on their favorite crime fiction books. A great compendium of the history of the genre--the books cited are listed chronologically--and a great way to see who your favorites like, and who they are liked by.

Would telling what I'm reading amount to a recommendation? I hesitate to go so far as that, though I'd consider it. Anyway, I just finished "The Alto Wore Tweed" and started on "The Baritone Wore Chiffon" both by Mark Schweitzer. No gore so far, or at least not off-puttingly-much, so I reckon I'll probably finish. My Kindle, meanwhile, is loaded with free stuff, including the works of Mark Twain and the collected Oz stories of L. Frank Baum. I'm reading the latter because i was reminded of Oz by two things: first, noticing a road near Helena, Montana, named "L. F. Baum Road,"' and second by tripping over a right-wing website where they try to make a case that Baum dabbled in (left-wing, according to them) politics in his writing by suggesting that the yellow brick road was really gold and that the silver slippers (changed to ruby in the movie, but hey, Baum wasn't in at the creation of that), both related to the U.S. coinage politics and the rest of what had been going on at the time, and even going so far as to suggest that Oz is "oz.," the abbreviation for ounce, though they didn't bother to make a connection with troy weights, and they didn't account for Ev. I thought their theory might be close to the ultimate in stupidity, so I wanted to look and see if they might have a point. (They don't.)

I'm far enough into The Baritone Wore Chiffon, now, that I think it's reasonable to recommend it to whoever likes humorous wordplay in your mysteries. I do: that's why I picked up the second in the series. (Getting the first was pure coincidence, as are so many of my "choices.")

It's amazing what people can read into things, isn't it?

Slaughter's Hound, by Declan Burke. I'm only five chapters in, but it appears Burke has hit his stride after last year's Absolute Zero Cool. I'm hooked.

THIRD STRIKE, # six in Zoe Sharp's excellent Charlie Fox series. Am enjoying it as I have the previous four I've read.

David DeLee

Zoe's first one is next up for me. Matt Hilton recommended her and Sean Black to me. Currently reading Sean's first book Lockdown, very good.

Asset Management by Gamal Hennessy. A hard boiled, New York sex and violence writer who I interviewed on my podcast blog, 2012writersalive.blogspot.com

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2019   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service