Yes, a bit of a naff and unoriginal question, but why not?

I'm a quarter of the way through Mr. Clarinet by Nick Stone, set in Haiti, a country I know very little about. PI Max Mingus, recently out of jail after an 8 year sentence for manslaughter, is undertaking a lucrative but risky investigation in Haiti, to track down the kidnappers of his employer's son.

I'm enjoying it so far, definitely seems to be one for the fans of the hardboiled thus far though.

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An advance copy of Louise Ure's next book, The Fault Tree. It's great. Louise does a fantastic job of characterization, and her plots move at a blistering speed..Louise won the Shamus for Best First Novel last year, the one Lori and Harry and I were also nominated for, but there's no way I can hold that against a writer this good.
I read an ARC of WHAT THE DEAD KNOW--I don't think I'll be giving anything away to say that it's terrific!
March by Geraldine Brooks -- It's Mr. March's story from Little Women.

But I just finished State of Fear by Michael Critchon and The Blade Itself by Marcus Sakey.

Both were excellent.
Just finished Megan Abbott's The Song is You and Keith Dixon's The Art of Losing. I'm now in the middle of Connelly's Void Moon and Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Garcia Marquez. Next: Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise and American Skin by Bruen.
Just finished "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" - Horace McCoy...another super-discount buy at the local used store. This is a brutal and beautiful book.

Now reading Megan Abbott's first book.

The "to be read" pile is very large and growing...
The last book I read was Bottomfeeder by B.H. Fingerman. Next up: HeartShaped Box (Joe Hill).

I have to be picky because my time and book budget are so limited, and also because our library is so tiny. But books on my birthday list include Bruen's The Guards, Gran's Come Closer, and Ruttan's Suspicious Circumstances.
I decided to reread all the Harry Bosch books this year. Just finished THE LAST COYOTE, which for me, is the quintessential Bosch book.

Also reading UNFINISHED BUSINESS - The Life and Times of Danny Gatton - by Ralph Heibutzki. A biography on one the greatest guitar player of the last three decades.

Next up is an ARC of the latest in Sanford's Prey series.
Half-way through THE BOOK THIEF, by Markus Zusak, 3/4 through THE KILLING OF THE TINKERS & picking away at a collection of Hammett short stories (The Big Knockover, etc.).

Christa, Joe Hill's HEART-SHAPED BOX, totally kicks boo-tay. I had very few quibbles with the writing and none with the story itself. Think you'll enjoy it.
Thanks, Angie. My husband got about 100 pages into it and said he likes it better than Joe's dad's writing. I just have to carve out time for it now! ;)
Wake Up to Murder by Day Keene. I love Keene and highly recommend him. To Kiss or Kill is one of my all time favorites. He may not be as well known as some of the bigger names of the same era, but for my money, he's one of the hardest. Great stuff.
Just found a copy of TOO HOT TO HOLD in the $1 bin...add it to the stack of TBR.

BTW, love the cover of your upcoming book...very nice.
Just read Duane Swierczynski's THE WHEELMAN over the weekend. I started James Ellroy's L.A. CONFIDENTIAL last night.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service