Craig Ferguson's the host of The Late Late Show on CBS, after David Letterman and opposite Conan O'Brien. Usually I'm asleep by midnight, but I chanced on his show recently when my husband was out of town, and I was immediately hooked - he's an extremely attractive Scottsman, and very funny. I then happened on his first novel, Between the Bridge and the River, in Barnes & Noble a couple of nights ago, and his writing is even better than his TV show.

Some of the blurbs on the back describe it as "Johnny Carson crossed with Kurt Vonnegut," "Profane on its surface, ethical at its core, and always fun." I'm enjoying it more than anything I've read in ages. Highly recommended. Not in the mystery genre, but suspenseful nonetheless, and hysterically funny. As an author, I'm jealous and overwhelmed.

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Craig club! He's adorable-terrifically funny and I love the fact that he just talks about what's going on in the world and can poke fun at himself as well as others.

I loved his book too-thought it was great!
Full disclosure - I'm now about 3/4 through the book and I must admit I'm getting somewhat bogged down. The book rambles, goes off on all sorts of tangents and jumps around confusingly in regard to time periods. I still love it, but it's not what I would call crisply and coherently plotted. Just a caveat for mystery writers/readers before you plunk down your $14.95 or whatever it was.

Another caveat - the explicit sexual language and episodes might gross some people out, but I find them funny and I'm not normally into writing about sex. However, I was thinking of recommending it for my Unitarian Universalist book club, and after due consideration, I decided maybe not!

Norby, good to hear from a fellow fan.
Yeah, it's not for everyone. But, neither is Craig. The book sort of follows the way his mind works if you think about it. Going off on tangents, etc...

I promise, it all comes together in the end though.
That's where I first saw him-as an Ohio native the Drew Carey show was practically required viewing for me. But I like Drew too so I enjoyed it.
I did see the Drew Carey show a couple of times but wasn't a regular viewer, so I don't remember him there. It seems that many people in the media pay their dues for many years before they become an "overnight success."
He was on the later episodes as Drew's boss Mr. Wick.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service