I do have chapters written. I also have character sheets on my characters (of course)--this is based on wonderful advice gleaned from author J. A. Konrath's website. My characters are so real, they often talk to me! But only when I write! My question is this: is there a cut-off point when I should mainly (as in most of the time) work on my chapters? or do I keep refining the storyline? Feedback, please!

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sounds sensible to me! thanks. i know what you mean. chapter one could last for six months as you revise! very good advice, thanks.
Every writer has to find his/her own way, Carole. There's no right or wrong way to write a book. Methods vary greatly, but when you get down to it I think Stephen King said it best: Books are written one word at a time. That might not seem like much help, but that's really all there is to it.

Keep writing, one word at a time, and your unique voice and method will emerge. Writing books and tips on the internet are useful sometimes, but don't take any of them as gospel. Only you can decide the best way to get from Once upon a time...to ...happily ever after.
right. thanks i read his book actually and I forgot about that gem. one word at a time. thanks Jude. how you doing today?
Every writer works differently. You need to find what works for you.
you're right of course. still trying to find my way I guess. guess i'll keep trying!
This November...sign up for NaNoWriMo. It is a wonderful discipline for writers. I sold last year's effort. When you're on a roll, do not stop. Write (ride) it to the end.

Write everyday. That's it...all there is to it.

Dennis (tongue in cheek)
i do write everyday. some times I even like what i write. I have a very successful friend. she writes a series of crime novels. her protagonist is a woman detective. she always says to write in bits. for a few years i wasn't sure what that meant but i'm doing it now. what's Na....no.. whatever it is? are you winding me up? you devil.
NaNoWriMo is a yearly trek into novel writing. You must write a minimum of 50,000 words in the month of November.

It's a great exercise. Average 1700 words per day. It's a great commitment...but, a rewarding accomplishment.

nanowrimo
sorry i didn't realize. lived here in cynical old England too long. so i'm wary sometimes. thanks i just signed up for reminders. sounds like a good discipline and fun! appreicate it.
I write first and foremost, plot when I need to. I have found that writing an original short story once a week, using an ancillary character and events outside of my main storyline, keeps the characters sharp and fresh in my mind. I think of it as my secret weapon. A chance to step away from the novel du jour and still keep moving forward.Of course, I do have the main character and all of his extended family in a fairly complex genealogy. But that has developed itself through the writing of three books about them.
thank you so much. i love that suggestion. it would keep your characters fresh--wow. all the best, Terry!

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service