I recently read The Green Ripper by John D. MacDonald. Swear to God, I'd never read it until last week. I'd never even seen the jacket blurb or a plot synopsis. Nada.

Travis Mcgee infiltrates a religious cult, with paramilitary cells all over the world, bent on changing the current "establishment."

In my WIP, my protag infiltrates a religious cult, with paramilitary cells all over the world, bent on changing the current "establishment."

After reading my first novel (currently on submission through my agent), several people told me it reminded them of John D. I was flattered, of course, although I hadn't made a conscious effort to imitate him.

Now, with my WIP having a similar style and plot line, I'm wondering if some people might think...

You know.

Am I just being paranoid, or are the comparisons (and finger pointings) inevitable? Is this something I should worry about?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nah.
Whew!

;)
ROFLMAO!!!

Too much, Jon. I think I cracked a rib.

I ordered The Feast of Love, btw. Should get it tomorrow. Looking forward to your thoughts on Bag of Bones. Sure to be hilarious, whether you liked it or not. :)
I honestly didn't think of Macdonald at all when I read it, Jude. And I have read several other author's with the religious fundie cults as a central focus.

I wouldn't worry about it. How many classic mysteries have the Great Detective revealing all at the end with the entire cast assembled? How many protags are disillusioned ex-cops with bad habits and an inability to commit to a personal life? A you can't swing a dead cat without hitting another serial killer mind-effing an FBI profiler. Plots and character types do crossover one another from time to time.

Dangerous cults are out there, and they are perfect and unlimited fodder for use in a thriller or crime novel.
Good points, Deb. Thanks!
Thanks, Angela.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service