This probably came to mind because of all the discussion going on about "something new."

Once again, it's TV shows that come to mind. I remember when detective/cop shows were mostly single protagonist like Columbo, Mannix, Kojak, The Rockford Files (or partnerships like Cagney and Lacy). Then, with things like Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue the shows started to take on more of an ensemble approach, and a big compliment at the time was that they were, 'like novels.'

I guess things like The Wire took it even further.

Today, in novels, though, it seems like the single protagonist is still the most popular. Is it? What do you like?

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read single protagonist novels, for the most part. I write ensemble (3 main characters). I love having more than one character to put through their paces. So much more canvas to play with, as it were. I tell myself there's a greater chance a reader will resonate with a couple of the characters than if it's just one. Most love all three. Some are devoted to one or the other hero. By using three main characters I can explore a greater range of human emotion, foibles and motivations than I can in one.

And, let's be honest -- I hear a lot of voices in my head and I have to use them somehow or another.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service