I just finished Carol Anne Davis's Sob Story. Davis is a new (to me) author who writes intense psychological thrillers.

Now, I'll be reviewing it for Spinetingler anyway, and I don't want this to be about reviews anyway. This is about gut reactions. I had a bit of trouble taking the mental shift into this book at first, I think because of what I'd been reading around the time, so I put it down, cleared my head with something else, then picked it back up. And couldn't put it down. I'm a slow reader and I just picked it up again yesterday - now it's done. It kept me turning pages way after my bedtime last night.

So, reading anything good these days? Last book that had you sitting up half the night chewing your nails?

Up next for me: Adrian McKinty The Bloomsday Dead

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cornelia Read. I picked up her book at the SC Book Festival. Just finished The Blonde and I've got Born's new book, Field of Fire waiting in the wings.

I'm writing more than usual right now so the reading is going slower than usual.
Well, Allan Guthrie's Hard Man had me chewing my nails. And watching my back, for some reason, all twitchy. Now, I just finished Elmore Leonard's Up In Honey's Room and loved it. Detroit, 1945, US Marshals, FBI agents, German spies and a woman named Honey Deal. Really.
I just finished Spider Mountain by P.T. Deutermann. His books fit more into the thriller category because you usually know who the bad guys are, but I really like his writing. Spider Mountain brings back a character introduced in The Cat Dancers, Cam Richter, and pits him against some Deliverance style mountain people. The best part of this book is that Cam has two well trained German Shepherds that go everywhere with him-their names are Frick and Frack and he uses them as part of his arsenal. It sounds hokey, but Deutermann makes it work.

The other book I really enjoyed recently was Peter and the Shadow Thieves, written by Ridley Pearson and Dave Barry. It's the sequel to Peter and the Starcatchers. These books are the story of how Peter Pan became Peter Pan. They're marketed as children's books, but from people I've talked to, adults are enjoying them too. With the duo writing them, there's enough action, mystery and humor to keep everyone happy.
Andrew Taylor's A Stain on the Silence is my bedside reading and my handbag book is an ARC of Ken Bruen's Cross - so there's a bit of mind moving having to go on as they are both very different styles and contents.

The Taylor book is quite interesting - not exactly a keep you awake at night, but there are some very unpleasant characters, yet the book is still involving.

Cross, well that would keep me awake - it's magnificent.
Karen

You are simply going to love CROSS. I thought PRIEST was amazing, but this follow up simply blew me away. Enjoy.

Mike
Subject to your interpretation, share whatever you feel is most appropriate.

Karen - I can't wait for Cross.
Before I reply in earnest how far along are you?
The last book that really had me turning pages and forgetting the rest of the world for hours at a time was Charlie Huston's ALREADY DEAD.

In terms of taking people to bed, David Terrenoire last week (BENEATH A PANAMANIAN MOON), and Ray Banks this week (SATURDAY'S CHILD).

Both of them are great in bed.
I LOVE Huston. I cant believe he knocks out 2 books a year and they consistently maintain such a high quality. It didnt have any chapter breaks so I just kept right on reading until I was done. http://www.fantasybookspot.com/node/1362
I've been meandering through a bunch of books, as usual. But the one I picked up one night and then made time to read the next day at lunch and then at night and then too late and then on the john the next morning...was THE WATCHMAN by Robert Crais. For sheer readability, let alone intrigue, Crais and Connelley (and to some extent Coben -- the "C" team) have been almost peerless in recent years...
Not a nailbiter but an intelligent and satisfying read: I'm in the middle of Roberta Isleib's DEADLY ADVICE. The protagonist is a clinical psychologist who gets well paid for writing an advice column. Now there's moral ambiguity for you. ;) Isleib gets the shrink stuff just right--much harder than it looks. Liz
The last book that managed to keep me from my sleep was BEYOND THESE WALLS by Rachel Gunner & Hanna Gabriele. It's a nonfiction in which the mystery is Hanna's multiple personalities and her forgotten past. I love case histories of people with multiple personalities. This is fascinating as Hanna and her therapist trade off telling about the developments in her treatment.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service