I've begun reading Carl Hiassen and wonder what other people believe are the 'funniest' or 'most humorous' crime novels out there. Steve Hamilton's stuff is great as well, but I feel like I'm missing out on a bunch.
Any ideas?

Views: 13976

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Westlake is of course the best, though I like the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben.

Bolitar is funny?  Huh, guess I never noticed that aspect of those.  

But you remind me of a hilarious writer, some of whose books are about crime.  Bill Fitzhugh

"Pest Control"  for one.  

I also like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

And the Firesign Theater's ‘The Giant Rat of Sumatra’ and ‘ Nick Danger: the Case of the Missing Shoe are absolute classics. 

Those are books?  I never knew.  My Uncle had some of their albums. I remember he used to say, "I spell my name Danger."  Now I see where it came from.

There were written weren't they? 

And I forgot to mention 'The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul' by Douglas Adams.

(His best work). 

Ah, good point, DL.  Not novels, but definitely written, not improvised or anything.  

I often wondered why Monte Python spun off individual writers, but the Firesigns never did.  Maybe you have to do movies and TV

Three of the Firesign Theater's members have been writing TV and radio commercials for 30 years--with occasional sit-com/movie script work--one does radio work. And one has written a number of detective novels under a pin-name. And every now and then (if you are lucky and can afford it) one or two of them do week-end work-shops on comedy writing.   

That's interesting, DL.  Thanks for the info.  I'll have to goog, goog, google around on that.  The idea of a comedy workshop with those guys is amazing.

The last one I was aware of was about 4 years ago: it wasn't announced. That one and the ones I attended with Janet Evanovich, and Christopher Moore were great experiences. 

Christopher (genuflect)  Moore????????????   I guess they were great experiences.  My envy floweth over.

Maximum Bob by Elmore Leonard

Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen

Sideswipe by Charles Willeford

all Florida-based too...maybe there is something intrinsically funny about the sunshine state

god knows CSI Miami is (unintentionally) hilarious

Nah, I think it's the alligators ... :)  Wasn't there one in Maximum Bob that gobbled a little girl?

Didn't read Skinny Dip by Carl H, but I did read Lucky You. Priceless. 

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service