I feel like an idiot or a Luddite asking these questions, but I was never on Facebook until the other day. People have told me all authors should have Facebook pages. But when I signed up and started setting up my profile, and scooping it out -- it seems that there are profiles, which most authors have and which they reserve only for friends, but some authors seem to have pages, as opposed to just profiles, which are mostly open to anyone.

If anyone is more familiar with Facebook than I am -- that probably includes almost everyone -- and if you have any thoughts on which direction is best, I'd appreciate any remarks you have to share.

I started uploading photos and cover art -- haven't yet started the friend-thing -- but I think I need to know a bit more before continuing on.

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Facebook need not be a "blatant sales tool," but it does help encourage people to visit your blog. I've noticed a significant upswing in people visiting on the days I remember to post a link on Facebook. And as you say, we do want more people to become interested in our writing - why be ashamed of it?

Julie Lomoe
Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso
If you're bored writing it, then don't write it. Some people like the connection, it's shorter than email, quicker than a phone call, and people can keep tabs on their pals.

I'm on there. Sometimes I screw around with the applications (knowing that they are data miners, like telemarketer surveys) and take silly quizzes as a way to take a break or procrastinate.

You can set your profile as public or private, depending on what you want. I went with public, but I don't have any information on there that I wouldn't be comfortable telling the world. I update my writing progress or thoughts on writing and occaisionally thoughts on life. The chat feature is interesting-- again, it's not quite like a phone call or email, so it's a different mode of communication.

Some people are clever and share useful information. Some people are mundane. Some comlain, some just take quizzes and goof around. IMHO, there is no "wrong" way to use any such tool/ toy. It's all about what you want to get out of it.

I also think that facebook and myspace have a bit of a voyeuristic component. Some people really love the photos and status updates... (some of my students can literally spend hours going through photos on myspace. it's almost a little disturbing.)

The way I think about it-- I look at my facebook friends (an interesting mix of online acquaintances and real life friends/ estranged friends) and when I post a status update, I think about what would that group of people be most interesting in knowing about what I'm up to? Or can I make a funny quip to amuse them? You know, considering audience in my writing.

Ugh. I've been noveling too much lately... my brevity is broken.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service