1. Work on one thing at a time until finished.
  2. Start no more new books, add no more new material to ‘Black Spring.’
  3. Don’t be nervous. Work calmly, joyously, recklessly on whatever is in hand.
  4. Work according to Program and not according to mood. Stop at the appointed time!
  5. When you can’t create you can work.
  6. Cement a little every day, rather than add new fertilizers.
  7. Keep human! See people, go places, drink if you feel like it.
  8. Don’t be a draught-horse! Work with pleasure only.
  9. Discard the Program when you feel like it—but go back to it next day. Concentrate. Narrow down. Exclude.
  10. Forget the books you want to write. Think only of the book you are writing.
  11. Write first and always. Painting, music, friends, cinema, all these come afterwards.

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I like most of those. And I do most of those.

Thanks for posting this!! For me, #1 & #10 are the pertinent ones! I needed to be reminded to stay on the current book instead of scattering myself all over the place to the detriment of the story I should have been working on...it's just so hard...I have so many that I want and need to write. Discipline. I need discipline...!

Good advice, all. We need to work, but too much can drain the joy, life, and quality out of anything.

You have to listen to Henry. At least a little.

We should listen to his guy.  He had good taste.  After all, he married Marilyn Monroe.

Think that was Arthur Miller.

Thought it was Joe DiMaggio. Or was it all of them?

Arthur Miller
(m. 1956–1961)

Joe DiMaggio
(m. 1954–1954)

James Dougherty
(m. 1942–1946)

See.  Are you sure it wasn't Roger Miller?  Proof that you should check you  facts first. Brian!

Still Henry is worth listening to.

Isn't Roger Miller a Country singer/songwriter? I think Arthur Miller is correct...

Actually, it was Arthur Miller she was married to.

Nah, it was Barney Miller

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service