What is it about a crime novel that gets you going? Is it the crime itself, or the chase, or the type of crime? I love a good murder, especially one that forces the hero to look for the "history" of the crime, the "why done it" in addition to the "who done it".

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The human element, always. I don't care much for puzzles.
When you say "human element" do you mean how the characters are impacted by what happens, or how the story evolves around the characters?
It's just a huge rush for me, a high. I don't like stories that just "sit", LOL. I love stories where I gotta use my brain and mind and solve things. I love all kinds of mysteries, subtle, fast, as long as they aren't obvious. I love to solve puzzles and I love plots that intrigue and trick. The best thing about mysteries is that (if it's written well), by the time you think you know what's going on, you are thrown off balance. That is so exciting. I write crime for the same reason. There's nothing like a story that forces you to think. I also love bad guys and villains. The darker the character, the more I'll like him/her.

Best Wishes,

http://www.stacy-deanne.net
Yeah, I get that. I like to "follow" the investigation and try to keep up with the clues. Sometimes I put the book down and think about what happened and then go back to the story to see if I'm right.
I like mysteries because a good one has that balance between plot and character. I also enjoy historical mysteries, because I'm a history buff, and the fact that the essential ingredient of period mysteries are the mores and society of the time and place involved, it's a great way to learn new stuff.
I like history mysteries that have the element of a "what if" factor. But if there is some fact to the story it makes it more interesting.
Following the character around is fun, especially when you the reader knows who dun it, in the case of "Columbo" crime stories. The intrigue that goes with watching the crime solved is getting into the character's head. For me is the list of suspexcts when everyone hates the guy who got killed and everyone has a motive.
I like trying to figure it out, as I mentioned to Stacy. but the thing that got me reading mysteries was the psychology behind it. What is the trigger that makes one person brush something off, and another person commit a crime? I find that fascinating.
Wow. I get that. On the one hand you have a person who just doesn't give a crap (your steel worker) who is reckless and a possible danger to others, but not necessarily dangerous. But the sociopath, on the other hand, he is a danger to all of us because we don't know what triggers him, because we don't know him and he could be anyone. We don't see him being reckless or careless so we can avoid him, or at least get out of his way like your steelworker. I agree that many times we let people push our buttons by not seeing ahead, but most of us can avoid doing that terrible thing because we are aware of the consequences and fear them.
Hi Dan, Have you read Kellerman's 'Butcher's Theatre'. As the reader, you spend a lot of time in the head of the murderer and you still don't know who he is, or if he is any of the other characters you are reading about. A very creepy tale...
Correct, still one of the greats. Have you read any of his wife's books? I have read their joint ventures and think they should stick to writing as individuals. I see you read Sue Grafton, I love her simple gritty style, plus DeMille, for me his is the 'One'. Having been involved in Vietnam, did you read, his 'Up Country'? See also you are about to be published, hope all goes well, will look out for it on the shelves. Cheers
I have read most of the early books by both authors, and I have to admit, John is the better of the two. I don't know if I would describe Faye's books as adolescent, but they don't pack the same punch as John's.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service