As Senior vice president, publisher and editor in chief of G.P. Putnam's Sons, how would you describe the current state of the publishing industry? The news all seems pretty grim from where some of us sit--book sales down, advances drying up, booksellers disappearing, industry layoffs, etc. In your view, where are we now, and where are we likely to be in five years, say?

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First rule of negotiation, right Jude? And you know, as I keep saying, there's always another project, always another avenue.
No one's putting him on trial. I made the WWII analogy to point out that just ignoring a problem isn't the best solution. You can ignore that and say that I am implying Neil is no better than the politicians in Imperial Japan, but that's not what I'm getting at. People tell us all the time that everything is fine when it's not. I'm not saying Neil is doing that. But if you're a writer with a personal stake in this issue, it might be something to keep in the back of your mind. In the last paragraph I said I was not implicating Neil in being dishonest. I can say that a hundred more times, but I don't think I should have to. Once is enough. Don't be like Fox News and try to make a non-issue a major scandal.

I don't think it's impolite to point out that executives might have a conflict of interest just because there is an executive listening in. It's not a secret and it shouldn't be surprising that someone high up in a company will want to protect their company. and that's why we shouldn't forget to think critically. Neil is kind of a celebrity now and it is easy to get starry eyed.
Thank God you're here to protect me from my illusions, John.
What are you talking about?
I'm teasing you a little. Sorry.
I'm laughing.
If Neil were to tell us things are terrible, the industry's on the way out, what would you do about it? Would you write a different story? Give it up? What CAN writers do? Nothing but write, it seems to me.
I'd go where the real money is--playing in a blues band.
You are where the real money is, Jon. The only people who made any money in the gold rush were the ones selling the equipment (and the jeans).

The only people who make real money in the writing biz are the teachers.
If that's true, then you guys are really, really screwed.
Speaking as a recovering musician who has since been a teacher, computer school administrator, network administrator, sales support engineer, and information systems analyst, never underestimate the value of steady work. It may not be sexy, and chicks may not dig you, but it will support a wide range of enjoyable enterprises, even if they themselves are not profitable.
Actually I love my job; it keeps me jumping intellectually, I have some great colleagues, and there's the added bonus that the really hot babe down the hall is warm for my form (my wife and I teach in the same department--a rare and wonderful thing indeed). I do wish there was less job to the job--during the semester it's balls-out, 60-or-so-hours a week--and that they didn't pay us in Monopoly money. Otherwise, no complaints.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service