Have you seen the movie "Lonely Hearts" (2006) with Salma Hayek, John Travolta, and Jared Leto?  It's a hard boiled docudrama.  Travolta plays the dogged investigator.  Hayek plays the femme fatale and Leto is her companion in crime.

At Rotten Tomatoes, one reviewer said Salma Hayek played the femme fatale part perfectly.  Another reviewer wrote that she was lousy.

I'm in the former camp.  I thought Hayek acted the part well, but had lousy material to work with.

I wondered what other crime writers and fans thought.  

Views: 380

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't seen it, but Salma can fatale me anytime...

Ditto.

I think she was even better in Dusk to Dawn.

She definitely has the "chops" to pull off a Femme Fatale convincingly (her eyes, her voice) so I can easily believe some would have dug her performance in "Lonely Hearts" (which I haven't seen but word of mouth kept me away at the time) while others would have focused on how bad the movie was (very few have the skill to make you forgive a bad script based strictly on their performances i.e, Liam Neeson, Leonardo Dicaprio, Meryl Streep, Denzel Washington) being that soemtimes a convincing performance can't mask bad direction, clunky dialogue and other hazards not up to par movies may bear. But if Jennifer Lopez can pull off - in my opinion - a radiant fatale in "U Turn" (and I'm not convinced she has a ton of acting range but maybe she hasn't been allowed to widely showcase her talent yet) I would be surprised if Salma didn't equal or better that performance. Happy New year, Guys.  

You know, you'd get a better response to this discussion if you'd included a picture of Salma. 

Just sayin'.

This fatal enough for you?  :-)

Yep. Excuse me for a few minutes, please.

Way to go, Cammy!  Love it.

I guess subtlety didn't work, huh?

What do you all think about Jessica Lange in the 1980's version of "The Postman Always Rings Twice"?

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but to me, Jessica Lange's greatest performance was in Frances, the drama based upon the life of the actress Frances Farmer. She should have won the Best Actress Oscar (she was nominated but didn't win). Femme fatal? I dunno, you decide.

I never saw Frances.  I'll check it out.  Thanks, Susan.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service