Uncommon crime fiction - is this really a novel approach?

What do you all think about an urban crime novel that stars a whole team rather than just one sleuth?  Personally I find it more realistic, most of us work in teams in real life, but at the same time, I have also been a fan of the sleuth motiff in the mystery genre. 

I would love to get some reviews for An Adventure in Indianapolis....Here is an urban, contemporary crime story where readers see both leg work and Internet research being used to find and put together the missing pieces in a criminal plot....

There are aspects of 'crime fiction TV shows' that have been incorporated into the structure of this novel...fans of those forms of story may especially like this novel.

Readers can pre-order through Alethia Publishing right now, or opt for the Kindle version.  Be aware, these are really 2 different editions of the same story.

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Miriam,

Good luck with the story. My take is that the approach is much more realistic than the 'lone' investigator out there slogging through on his own. Real crimes are solved this way, with the assistance of many expertise. And you are right, TV has used this structure for years; just look at CRIMINAL MINDS, BONES, the LAW & ORDER franchise. Though, this is not 'new' to prose fiction. Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series comes immediately to mind.

Again, good luck with it. Sounds interesting.

David

Since todays audience trend towards plot observation before, during or after a story ("why didn't he or she just ...", "How did they not suspect ...", "Wouldn't they need a warrant to ..." , etc) I don't think a realistic or natural approach will hurt in any way. To echo what David said what you're bringing to the table sounds unique and interesting and I wish you nothing but success (critical, commercial, personal) with it. 

I don't think it's a novel approach. As been said before, TV shows like Crimininal Minds also use a whole team, and in crime fiction I think about the Ed McBain books, but also the Burke novels by Andrew Vachss.

Also, John Lutz writes a series featuring Frank Quinn, but his is a team approach, with recurring characters appearing in several novels.

I like the team approach, it is after all how a real murder task force would work.  I think you need to be careful though not to introduce too many characters in the opening paragraphs; this might overwhelm the reader with information and stifle the pace.  Best of luck.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service