Does anyone have any information about this highly praised e-publisher?  It suddenly struck me that one's book might become stuck with a publisher, and with electronic publishing, there is no clear date when the rights are returned.  Some electronic publishers also have a kill fee they charge when an author changes his mind. I don't see that issue addressed on their web site.

Views: 216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would check here:

http://www.untreedreads.com/?page_id=870

It looks like there are provisions for releasing the rights.  You would need to email them to get more information, I suspect.  Many companies don't put a sample of their contract up any more, though some used to.

Yes, thanks, Pepper.  I saw that. What if the author has other plans, not involving a print publisher.  That phrase refers to a case where an author puts a work on Untreed Reads and then gets a contract offer from a traditional publisher.

Kindle restricts re-use to after one year.  I can see that.  I cannot see having my electronic rights tied up forever. As Joe Konrath says, "an e-book is forever."  (I paraphrase).  Print publishers have to return all rights when they stop offering a book.  But an electronic publisher essentially never needs to take a book down.

I am trying to decide if I'm better off paying someone for formatting and holding on to all my rights.  Hmm. I wonder how much formatting costs.

It really does depend on the epublisher, which is why you have to email and ask them.  My publisher takes rights for a set period, and the contract is renewable by mutual consent afterward for as long as author and publisher agree, with the publisher returning rights upon request once the original contract period has expired.  My previous publisher also released the rights upon request after the end of the contract period.  If there's not a provision for this, you want to think twice about it.  No publisher should keep your rights in perpetuity, and since a publisher will spend money getting your book out there, even if you did the cover art, a reasonable fee for an early release from contract is not unexpected.  It's when they start asking in the hundreds of dollars to discourage you from asking for an early release that you run into trouble.

Asking them will likely not get your head bitten off, and it will let you know if it's a venue you want to pursue.

Thanks, Pepper.  Sounds reasonable if we're talking a year, as in the case of Kindle.

It will really depend e-publisher to e-publisher.  Spinetingler just launched Snubnose Press, which is an e-publisher.  We ran the contract by reputable agents before we went public.  They actually thought we were too generous to authors.

There are clear provisions in the contract for reversion of rights, and it's based on sales figures after one calendar year, but generally speaking, we have no intention of strong-arming authors to stay in a contract.  The only concern is the initial investment in ISBN numbers and cover art and editing.  As long as we have enough time to have a chance to recoup costs so we aren't out of pocket, that's all we care about.

As to which way to go, it might depend on how much it costs for the formatting.  And then, of course, you'll have cover art design costs as well.

Thanks much.  And very good luck with the undertaking.

I do my own covers.  Granted, I'm still learning, but so far my professionally designed covers have not impressed me all that much, and I've seen many dreadful covers on books by big houses.

Oh, yeah, some of the covers are awful.  We're working with a great artist.  You can check out some samples of his stuff here:

And here

Hey I.J.,

I've appeared in an anthology published by them (DISCOUNT NOIR), and they're releasing the ebook version of SHOT TO DEATH (Mainly Murder Press).  I've no complaints.  UNTREED seem quick to send informational updates, which I always appreciate.

Stephen

THREE-MINUTE MYSTERIES: 25 mysteries you can solve on your Kindle, NOOK, or PC

www.StephenDRogers.com

Thanks much, Stephen. And happy sales to you!

My book with them is coming out in mid-August.  They've got the reputation of being able to put an ebook out across a wide venue of ebook stores around the world.  And they have had several nationally recognized 'hits' from one or more of their authors.

They're contract offers no surprises and seem quite generous.

Thanks, B.R.
Electronic publishers, like the ones that use tree pulp, need to offer writers a contract.  Unless they're so big they can afford very pricey lawyers, they would be well advised to stick with that contract.  So if the agreement doesn't mention a kill fee, there probably shouldn't be one.  On the other hand, at least some contracts have (mine have, e.g.) clear statements as to how long the book is committed to the publisher and vice versa, after which the deal might be renewed or (as in my case) one figures they'll stay "in print" (e-print, i.e.) until one tells them to stop.  I have no plan to tell my e-publisher to stop, so rights aren't returned yet, but as I read mycontract, now that the period for which they are committed is over, they would be if I said i wanted them to be (or, of course, if the publisher wanted to quit keeping them available). If the contract demands a kill fee and one doesn't want to have to pay it, perhaps it would be inadvisable to sign the contract, though I think I probably would, since I'm still pretty darned unknown and shouldn't turn down any but the most unreasonable provisions.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service