Author interviews have to be some of the most uninteresting things a person could read. Shiste, I can't even get into my own.

This is because they aren't necessarily geared toward anyone. The reader wants to read a book and be entertained, not delve into the writing process. That's why they read and don't write.

That begs the question of why to do them in the first place. The author must think there's a benefit. But if readers don't care, why take the time?

The only people I see reading author interviews are other authors. While this could provide some benefit, I think interviews are conducted without regard to them. It's a self-serving, feel-good thing for the author to do.

If I'm being too harsh, it's only because I'm trying to make sense of what the hell is going on anymore. I see authors doing a pile of online interviews and never gain a reader. I have to think this is because readers don't read them.

Am I too far off with any of this?

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really hope not.  I think that self-publishing, particularly online, has opened up the field to a lot of people who wouldn't have gotten published via the traditional route for a variety of reasons.  Some of those are valid, and some aren't, but that's a whole other conversation regarding the pros and cons of self-publishing versus the agent/publisher route, which is a very contentious issue right now over here.

Self-publuishing may have focused the issue a little bit, but this is something that's been around for a while - at least since universities sarted teaching creative writing in a big way (1970's?) and maybe before. The whole "writing business" can seem pretty insular, it's either people writing books or people writing about books.

Afterall, it was 1963 when JD Salinger dedicated a book with: "If there is an amateur reader still left in the world - or anybody who just reads and runs..."  

Another interesting development is the "writing community" model like Cursor, started by Richard Nash who used to run Soft Skull Press. At first it sure looks like pyramid scam, but I don't know:

http://www.rnash.com/

I guess the idea is that the best writing leaves the "community" and heads out to the world at large. Early days yet, I suppose.

"Publishing 3.0"

Looks interesting, although I'm not quite sure what it is yet. Right off the bat, I do like that they have e-mail acquisition front and center.

I think a lot of people want to know their favourite authors.  If you feel you have something in common with them it helps you form a bond which makes the books feel more personal.  At least i think so...
And it never hurts to get your name out there.  :)
I tend to feel stranger signing books for people who actually know me. That is just plain weird. Why the signtaure when you can just talk to the person?

Value added!  The book sells for more on e-bay.

Actually, mine are more expensive without the signature. $1.25 vs. $1.

Hell, I'll sign other people's books!

"Check out El Leo's 'Up in Honey's Room!' If you order now, I'll sign the copy I read and mail it to you! But you better act quick, supplies are limited! Exclamation mark! Exclamation mark!"

Aaaannnddd...scene.

That's a great idea. I'm just about to sign a copy of 'Shutter's Island.' *

*Legal Note - This is not true. 

?  Jack, I think that must be a marketing oversight.  Or ?

And thanks for the chuckles, all.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service