Yesterday I resigned from the local chapter of a national organization for mystery writers and fans. I blogged about it yesterday, but I'm still steamed. I'm not mentioning any organizations or names, but since there are only two such major organizations that I'm aware of, it's kind of a no-brainer.

This organization is dominated by alleged "fans," but they rarely buy our books. They seem to think authors are selfish and venal for being interested in sales, and that we ought to do everything for free, out of the goodness of our hearts, for the sake of the organization. I'd go on ranting, but far from providing relief, it only serves to rachet up my blood pressure even more. If you want to learn more, please visit my blog at the link below - and by all means leave comments!

I've really burned my bridges - at a luncheon meeting at an Albany pub, I demanded that the treasurer give back the check I'd just written for next year's dues, dramatically tore it up, flung down $10 for my lunch, then stormed out of the room and slammed the door.

Normally I don't post negative comments about groups or individuals on my blog or elsewhere, but I feel OK about doing so now - most of these folks hate the Internet, so it's unlikely they'll be reading anything I write online.

My topic for tomorrow's blog: What do mystery fans really want? Right now I view them as vampires, but without the glamour.

Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My husband hasn't read either of mine all the way through either, though he's read and heard enough to think that he has.
Because your taste in mysteries and mine are similar, I bought the first of your books from Amazon. It's waiting on my TBR stack. Cheers.
Thanks to Jon, I. J., Dan, Minerva and Lisa for your comments. It wasn't fun storming out, and I was really angry for a day, but I've chilled out since then. I'm still convinced I made the right decision.
Sisters in crime is not a fan organization. Their mission - from their website:

"To promote the professional development and advancement of women crime writers to achieve equality in the industry."

I don't think they're looking for fans to join, although I'm sure they're welcome. I think it's meant more as a writers organization.

"I still belong to both MWA and SinC but I'm not sure they do me any good. Major problem is that they discriminate against self-published writers and those whose publishers don't make their "approved" lists."

I think it's very clear with both organizations that self-publishing and vanity publishing is not the same as being paid for your writing. Professional writers don't pay to be published.

"What do mystery fans really want? Right now I view them as vampires, but without the glamour."

In my personal opinion mystery fans want good stories, well told and well written. Nothing more, nothing less.

http://jeseymour.com
Thanks for the reminder of SinC's mission, and the fact that it's for writrs, not fans. But I'm convinced the definition of "professional" is changing. Both organizations are clinging to the old ways, but the times, they are a-changin', as Dylan would say.

Tomorrow I'm taking Amtrak down to New York City for the MWA chapter's Christmas gala - great hors' d'oeuvres and an open bar in an opulent setting. A good reason to belong. As for SinC, I'm not sure what they have to offer me at this point - not sure I'll renew.

Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service