Just wondering how some of you guys do this. What I mean is, when you write dialog for a character with a certain accent, do you actually write the dialog phonetically so the reader will sort of hear the accent in their head or do you just write the dialog as you normally would, but maybe toss in a few colloquialisms to remind the reader that the character has an accent? I'm going to add a British character who is an LAPD officer to the short story series that I write and would love to hear some advice on the subject. Thanks.

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Remember one thing about British people: When they speak, they anunciate their T's and R's very well. When you're writing something that a British person is saying, write it normally, and the reader will pick up on the accent. Any other accents, I would say to write it the way it sounds.
I write in slang as I hear the accent in my head. Living here in LA we have a treasure trove of accents to choose from. Brits often use words like 'bloody' and 'mum' and 'love'. Listen to Tim Roth on 'Lie to Me' to get the gist. Brits are easy. Good luck, Bill. Would love to read a piece when you have it. I have a Brit in my sequel, so I know what you're going through.

Best,
Julie
Episode 4, is the character's introduction...
here

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2019   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service