Have you fought the feeling that your authorial voice keeps eluding you? 

Me, too.  For years, my deepest frustration has been trying to find my voice as a writer.  I needed to know so I could figure out which genre best fit my stories and style; that is, I wanted to determine where to place myself in the large writing and publishing milieu before I spent a year writing the wrong novel, which . . . I did. 

I tried using different pseudos.  I tried writing historical mystery, romantic and contemporary suspense, creative nonfiction, and . . . you get the idea.  I fought with my characters, who would start out as mean, hard-nosed antagonists and end up being edgy protags.  Ah!  It was a daunting struggle. 

Finally, I realized that the conflict could be resolved if I accepted who I am, where my stories are coming from, that deep, repressed core.  Yep, it sound easy for those of you who've done that, or  had no problem doing that, but for the rest of us . . . Argh! 

I've come to think that voice can described based primarily on two things:

1.  What's inside, what you feel you must express; simply stated, your voice is based on who you are.  It can't be contrived and, if it is, it's easily recognized by readers as such.  I don't imagine Picasso would have painted water the same way as Monet.  

2.  The literary tropes and schema you select to make the desired expression, which also must not be contrived, are telling.  Picasso and Monet used techniques, just differing ones.

So I won't be writing the next great noir novel: It's not a genre in which I can find expression, although I read and enjoy it.  On the other hand, I've stopped denying (for fear of critical reprisal) the gritty, sometimes . . . yes . . . nasty irreverent heathens that my characters tend to be.  They are SOB's, and I LIKE them.  I've also stopped worrying about whether my story is didactic; it is.  All stories are, in one way or another.  Mine is just a little more heavy handed because, yes, damn it, I do have a message I wish to express. 

The tropes?  Oh, you better believe I know my writing tropes, and I pick and choose the ones that best elucidate my message and help me find expression.  It's been an exercise in self discipline, but I've turned the critical eye I use to evaluate others' work on my own (www.buzzardbone.blogspot.com).  It has helped considerably.  Why not?  I have the skills, I know the tools of my craft.  I've just not consciously made myself use them. 

So my question is, What about you?  Do you . . . have you struggled to find your voice?  How did you cope with the frustration?  What have your successes been?  What . . . are your favorite tropes, and do you use them consciously?  

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Argh!  It's hair pulling trying to make the darn Web site work, Caroline.  It's really a limited medium, don't you think?  Just trying to make it have the voice :-))) we want it to.  I like minimal.  I'm working on WordPress right now with something that I hope is minimal, although the amount of sweat I'm putting into it certainly isn't. 

Yep, I cannot abide the pretentious statement types! 

We're here to help each other, that's for sure.  When you get your site working the way you want, please post a link.  I'd love to see it.  Meantime, is there any place where I can see your paintings? 

The link  below will take you to the Blurb website, where you can "preview" my illustrated books. 

http://www.blurb.com/search/site_search?search=Caroline+Trippe&...

I have quite a few older paintings on Flickr, but haven't added any new ones in a long time. But the books will give you some idea, especially the three most recent.

Oh, wow!  These are beautiful, Caroline.  You should have publishers knocking on your door!  They are for young people, right?

Thank  you I.J.  I appreciate that very much indeed. 

However,  I'm afraid publishers won't be knocking on my door---it's not likely they're ever even going to see these  books.   The children's/juvenile   book  market, from what I gather, having done a bit of "research,"   is pretty much glutted, and the competition is "fierce."   Publishers don't have to look for new talent---apparently it floods their gates.   I looked into this not long ago, just to see what the lay of the land was, and if I could uncover a "niche,"   and there are very, very few publishers now who will accept any unsolicited mss, even those written and illustrated by the same person--those used to be considered in a different way---but most publishers have their own stables of artists that they like to call on. And now we have the new era of digital artists---and they have some pretty phenomenal skills , though a lot of it seems to be directed at the "fantasy" market. 

I don't fit in there. In fact, I've no idea where I would fit in.

I have done  what my skills permit--I am not "dissing" myself, I hope,  but I'm not a "trained"  illustrator--not a professional anyway--- and am well aware of my limitations. :)    I have seen what the very best illustrators can do.  And the resources they have to have.    Also, and this is kind of a problem, I think, ---my books are actually not targeted for any specific age---they would be "suitable" for young people,  but the only people who've bought them (either online or at my studio)  are adults, and there have been precious few of them , at that.  I was just pleased to find a way to combine   painting  and narratives in a new form. It's just one aspect of my work.

Anyway---didn't mean to go on, as I'm really on this forum to talk about mysteries. But I do thank you. It is always nice to be appreciated.

I.J., I agree.  Caroline's books are beautiful.  The cover art is exquisite. 
Thank you, Caroline.  I'm humbled by your praise. But the novels came before the stories, though the stories got me published.  :)

Oops!  Sorry about the mistake! 

And, no need at all  to feel humbled, I.J.

Praise, when sincere,  is meant to elevate. At least for a few moments. :) The older I get, the more I think a little praise can help sustain a flagging creative spirit. Heaven knows sales aren't going to do it for a great many gifted writers or other artists.  True, you can't take praise to the bank. But maybe you'll keep writing and have faith in your work and yourself.

I will continue to read your books. You now have two new ones published ? The Masuda Affair and Fires of Heaven?  Correct me if I'm wrong, or if I got the title wrong on the last one.  

Well, your opinion matters.  :)

Yes, the latest are MASUDA AFFAIR and THE FIRES OF THE GODS.  Both available on Kindle. MASUDA AFFAIR is also in pb.

"The Fires of the Gods."   Now I remember!   I love the title.  Alas, I don't have a Kindle. But I can easily order "The Masuda Affair."  That will be my next Akitada read.
Thank you.  FoG will be in pb next year.

Caroline, sorry to reply here, but CS won't let me reply in the correct spot, which is where you posted your like to your children's novels.  I agree with I.J.  The cover art is just breathtaking.  And so, speaking of mysteries, can you--are you  interested in translating any of your material--into a mystery novel, seeing as how the children's book market is flooded, as you say? 

I see tons of possibility for a mystery series based on your content, and I hope that you do, too.  Any thoughts? 

speaking of mysteries, can you--are you  interested in translating any of your material--into a mystery novel

Hm, that's a novel idea, Mary---but really not at all something I would consider. My books are not novels, actually, but brief illustrated stories---none of the books exceed 40 pages, including both text and pictures---and it's the paintings that are primary, that guide my choice of narratives,  because I'm a painter first, writer second. I base my books on tales from Greek mythology, so I don't have to invent plots---something I am not good at. They do not fall  squarely into the children's market because I don't create them with children in mind. As for markets being flooded---I suppose the mystery market is too.  I will just be content for now with doing my books as "print on demand."  They are not selling, but I don't think it's necessarily the venue, but the fact that they are sort of "unclassifiable."   But thanks for your comments!   If I could write a "real" mystery, I probably would have tried long ago :)   Meanwhile, I'm a painter, and the books are a sort of sideline, because they were fun to do, and because with that fantastic Booksmart software, I could do all the entire design myself. 

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service