I know a lot of authors have newsletters and lately I've been thinking about starting one up. I'd like to hear from those of you who have one. Is it worth the time?

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I've thought about it too, but like Rafe, I think it would be labor intensive. And then too, I'm thinking I'd run out of things to talk about. I do a blog on writing because it is not so limiting as just talking about my book, and even then, I decided to share it with 2 other authors just so we'd all bounce topics off one another.
Haven't got that much to announce. Twice a year, I update the news page on my web site, that's all.
I try to publish mine monthly, but as it has been noted, it is a lot of work, and you are the only one with interest in it as a general rule. I would love to get others to submit stuff for mine, as it is a mystery focused newsletter. Maybe in time!
Like most promotion efforts (such as joining Crimespace and contributing to Forum discussions ;-) ), it's very hard to quantify the payoff for an email newsletter. I think it does pay off at least some, because I've had recipients tell me they've bought and read my book. Also, I always have a signup list for the newsletter at my signings, so if someone doesn't want to or can't afford to buy the book then (it's a hardcover), they can still enter my contest for free mystery books and get on the newsletter list. Then, they may decide to buy the book later after receiving a newsletter.

I have about 1800 subscribers and used the Zinester service for quite awhile to maintain my subscriber database and do the mailings, but then they got flakey recently and I switched to Vertical Response. A few other authors I know use them, too, and we've all been happy with the service. I no longer send out a newsletter every month, but I try to do one every 2-3 months when I have interesting news to report.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service