An open discussion on what everyone is currently reading. Make recommendations to others, discuss what is new, hot, bestsellers, anything and everything related to books and the authors.

Views: 10197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Colin Cotterill, KILLED AT THE WHIM OF A HAT.  Not part of the Paibun (?) series.  This book features a Thai woman journalist and detective with an eccentric family, solving an even more eccentric murder.  It's fairly amusing, along the lines of a Stephanie Plum scenario set in Thailand instead of New Jersey.  The funniest part are the chapter quotes, all taken from George W. Bush speeches, as is the title.

I've struck out three separate times lately. 

Camilla Lackberg's THE PREACHER is said to be an international bestseller.  Another Scandinavian.  I couldn't take the unlikable characters and the mass of domestic trivia in this book.  It was also a slow starter (yes, there is a body right away, but nobody seems to feel any urgency about it).

Karin Fossum, BAD INTENTIONS.  I normally like Fossum very well, but this book is absolutely steeped in psychological mumbo-jumbo (both in the dialogue and in people's thoughts) and midway I couldn't take it any longer.  I just don't care how the suicide happened and if anyone bears responsibility for it.

Alexander McCall Smith, THE COMFORTS OF A MUDDY SATURDAY. As the title tells you, this is a cozy.  It's from the Isabel Dalhousie series, and I sampled because I really love the Mma Ramotswe books.  Well, I don't love this.  It's without a doubt the most boring mystery I've ever attempted and was discarded quickly.

In honour of Lunar New Year, and the Year of the Dragon.... The Sleeping Dragon by Miyuki Miyabe

you'll have to let me know what it's like, karen. i don't mind the japanese crime writers.

speaking of japan - i finally got myself a copy of jake adelstein's tokyo vice and about to launch into that.

Have you read Villain by Suchichi Yoshida - I really liked that.  Same feeling as this one, subdued, controlled, bubbling.  The Sleeping Dragon has an ESP sub-theme which is really interesting to look at in the Japanese context. 

no, i haven't. i'll add to my towering TBR file ;)

I'm reading The Black Echo by Michael Connelly at the moment. Loving it so far. This is one of the 3 books I had him sign at the Sydney Writers' Festival last year.

Just finished FOX FIVE on my Kindle, a collection of five short stories by Zoe Sharp, featuring her series protagonist, ex-Special Forces and current bodyguard Charlotte "Charlie" Fox. Great fun.

David DeLee

A Cold Wind - a Grace deHaviland novella

Now reading Tess Gerritesn's THE MEPHISTO CLUB, a Rizzoli & Isles book.

David DeLee

A Cold Wind - a Grace deHaviland novella

Finished The Black Echo yesterday. Great read. Review here:
http://thetysonadams.blogspot.com/2012/01/book-review-black-echo-by...

Just started Thomas Harris' Red Dragon on my new Kindle. I really wish the publishers would put some more effort into the ebook conversions. This one has some funny errors, not as bad as the James Paterson ebook I read recently, which was just riddled with mistakes.

Just finished Anne Emery's CHILDREN IN THE MORNING.  Not at all bad even if it has a touch of woo woo in the form of a young girl with second sight.  The girl, her father, and their priest friend are very attractive characters. Canadian author. The focus is on orphans and foster children.

Next I tossed Roslund and Hellstrom's CELL 8.  These are the latest bestselling Scandinavian authors. The book appears to be extraordinarily violent from the blurb.  But more to the point: one of the authors is a criminal, and the book opens with two men on death row.  One is taking his final walk and saying goodbye to his friend.  The sympathy is with the condemned, and their crimes aren't mentioned.  I don't tolerate the humanizing of violent criminals and their deeds.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service