on the first 100 pages. Basically he likes it. Thinks the premise works, the characters work, the atmosphere works.

On the more alarming side, he doesn't see her as being dark, doesn't think she would murder anyone, sees the novel as a self-discovery narrative rather than suspense-- much less noir.

I thought I had long buried that self-discovery stuff but here it is raising its ugly head. I don't think I can pitch a book that's not genre. So do I begin to change it now or write till the end and hope it works out? Or write to the end and then change things around. Throw a few bodies on the floor.

I knew this babe was running off with my book by the third chapter. I knew she wasn't gonna let me take charge. What would you do?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Whereas I beg people on the street to read it. I am addicted to getting critiques, alternate views, opinions. I wish I had the self-confidence to write a novel without readers, but I only occasionally write even a story without sending it through my two writing groups.
You're right. I still working on the short story premise where I hand in the 15 or so pages that was an entire short story.
Let it be what it is, especially in the first draft. Don't worry about how to sell it, etc., now. It's too early.

I'm curious about your comment--"I don't think I can pitch a book that's not genre." Can you elaborate?

BTW, a killer "self-discovery"/mystery book is Lynette Brasfield's NATURE LESSONS. It's an awesome piece of work and features some spectacular writing.
I was hoping for someone to say what you just said. I guess all my recent writing credits are in crime fiction and I'd have a better chance of getting somewhere there. For instance, I was looking longingly at the St. Martin's contest or possibly Hard Case Crime. The one agent I have had contact with has mostly liked the crime stuff.
Thanks for the book suggestion too. I'm looking for some books to read on holiday.
I know that some writers create work for a certain genre--they study the classics and popular examples and read those books, "How to Write a Blockbuster Mystery," etc. And many times they find success and are published. So it's definitely a legitimate way to pursue a writing career.

For me personally, it's not the genre necessarily (I call it the container) but the story. What container is going to suit your story? You may have to adjust your expectations--it may be heartbreaking at times. I never intended on writing a middle-grade book, which I'm attempting to complete by the end of next week. But there it is. Rather than being too attached to the container, I think it's best to be concerned with the contents. And the fact that this character is leading you around is a very, very good sign. Follow her and see where she takes you.
patti, i could certainly see you writing something that was literary/self-discovery/mystery or thriller. i see nothing wrong with that. all books don't have to be locked solidly within a genre.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service