I'd love to get one or more well-known authors to write a blurb for my book, and the Malice conference seems like an ideal place to begin. Anyone have any suggestions for how best to go about this without being overly obnoxious? I'll be wearing my Mood Swing T-shirt for starters, and I'll have my book and postcards handy at all times, then schmooze like crazy. I know authors are inundated with people looking for reviews and blurbs, but I'm assuming it can't hurt to ask. (The book is already in print, but I'm thinking of future editions and my upcoming website.)

At the Omega Being Fearless conference in NYC in April, I found myself standing in a coffee line next to Sam Keen, author of many nonfiction books. While chatting, I showed him my book and said "Do you ever--" He vehemently exclaimed "No!" before I could even get the words out, then calmed down and said he gets so many requests for blurbs and reviews that he makes it a firm policy never to accept books from writers. Not very encouraging, but I've heard at least some mystery writers are friendlier about it. Let's hope so!

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've asked authors for blurbs and never had a reaction like Mr. Keen's. I don't think handing a person a book to lug home is ideal. Offer to mail them. This allows them to decide whether or not to blurb you at a later time. One key is, I think, to only ask those authors who actually write something similar to what you write. Another key is to let them know they have plenty of time to read and get the blurb back to you.
Of course, if you know writers BEFORE you go to the conference, even better.

Your flexibility is going to be crucial.
As someone who gets a lot of books handed to them, I think Steve has hit the nail on the head. Never expect anything, and offer to mail the book. I've been stuck paying overage on my luggage because it's classed overweight.

I think the main thing for me is that when I go to a con I want to be able to hang out with readers and just have some fun, and I want to do the same with authors. The ongoing series of people asking for reviews wears thin. Honestly, I think the best thing to do is meet people, have a good time, make memorable contacts, and then follow up via email later. You don't put anyone in the awkward position of saying no to your face.

I offered a few arcs at B'con, but very selectively to people I knew - most of them went to people who'd already asked for them and told me to give it to them there but most of the others didn't take them. I don't take offense at that at all.

Honestly, you meet so many people, it's a blur and unless you write a note down every time you meet someone you forget if you were supposed to email them something specific, or send them a review copy or give them a blurb or what. I was sick at LCC and I actually went back to my hotel room and cried, because I just couldn't keep it all straight and felt so overwhelmed. And in part, I felt like a walking target and not a person. Exaggerated by fighting strep, no doubt, but at B'con this year I'm hiding and I'm not wearing the nametag.
I'm back from Malice, and as it turned out, I did just about what Sandra recommends. Had a good time, but didn't ask anyone for anything. I did hand out a lot of my postcards, though. At the Agatha Awards dinner, I was seated next to Rhys Bowen, and we chatted about all kinds of things, but I took care not to be pushy. BTW, she said that the night before, her publisher treated her and other authors to a ride into Washington to an upscale steak house. On the way in, they rode in a "disco bus" with special lighting effects and on the way back they took a "stretch Hummer".

Sandra, you are right about lugging books back! I was way over the weight limit, and they let me take a bunch of books out of my suitcase and put them in my Malice bag so as not to be charged $25 or $50 extra. In the course of unpacking and repacking at the Southwest counter, I nearly lost my driver's license and was afraid I'd be stuck forever at the airport without ID. It's taken me all of today to recuperate!
I'm in the blurb hunting phase right now for MONEY SHOT. Here's what I'm doing.

First of all, I didn't ask anyone in person. That really puts people on the spot and makes them uncomfortable. I agree with the "make friends first and ask for blurbs later" theory, with the added warning that you better not buddy up to someone just for the blurb. No one likes to feel used like that. Be genuine and real and if you meet someone you'd like a blurb from and you find you just don't get along with them, so be it. Don't try to fake it just for the sake of the blurb.

Second, I'm letting my editor ask people I don't know personally. Rather than cold calling random strangers, I let him make the approach, since he already knows them and has more pull.

Third, I'm looking for interesting blurbs from non-writers that relate to my book. Just for fun. My book takes place in the adult film industry so I'm trying to get blurbs from people like Ron Jeremy or Jenna Jameson. I don't know what the topic of your book is, but you might think about getting a blurb from someone who really does whatever it is you have written about.

My two cents.
Excellent idea. Since my book is about a psychiatric social club and my background is in the mental health field, that's the area I'm focusing on. My first good blurb was from a clinical psychologist who stressed the authenticity and information value as well as the plot.
As Sandra, Karen, and Christa suggest, you have to treat the authors you approach as human beings. For myself, I've never been asked to blurb anyone and if I were asked, it would be a burden to me. I am a very slow reader - I've written books in the time it's taken me to read some. Plus I have novels I'm reading for other projects - interviews I conduct for my website and various other outlets. Plus I have student papers to read and my own stuff to write. I can easily see how blurbing can be a chore. That's why the people who have blurbed me get a beer on me at the next convention I run into them at. ("Will blurb for Beer") Right now, I'm in debt for seven drinks...

Christa's idea about getting non-authors to blurb you can also work if you have an easily definable field your protag works in. But will people who pick up your book recognize the name of the blurber? If they don't, I don't think the blurb can help though it wouldn't hurt.
I'm not a writer, so this is just what I've observed. The people I know on various groups who have been first time writers have first established themselves as active members. There are authors in the group. I think once a book is written then perhaps the first-time author quietly approaches the published author privately and asks them to cast an eye over the offering with any helpful suggestions. If the book is met with approval then I suspect the author is asked for a blurb. Might be the best way (if not the quickest).
I don't blurb and I've never asked anyone to blurb for me. Any suggestions along that line by my agent I have fended off by pointing to reviews instead. I don't want blurbs from other authors. That always feels like a favor. Many of the authors I know are incredibly soft-hearted. Many of the blurbs by famous authors that I've read on the backs of books I subsequently read were, clearly, extremely generous. As an advertisement of a book, give me a review from PW, Kirkus, Booklist, Library Journal, or a major city newspaper any day. And I should say that my first novel appeared without any blurbs whatsoever. That was perfectly fine, though my publisher might have waited and used some of the early reviews.
Lots of excellent responses here - they go along with my gut feeling about how to approach this.

A BSP postscript - Tuesday night, Norman Mailer did a reading and signing of his new work, The Castle in the Forest, at the Writers' Institute in Albany. He's 84 years old and going strong, although walking with two canes. There were strict instructions at the signing - he'd sign his name only, no dates or individualized inscriptions, and people had to keep moving. But when it was my turn, I couldn't resist displaying the tee-shirt I was wearing with my book cover on it and saying "This is my first novel." I got a truly beatific grin from him which I'll always remember - I think it broke the monotony for him!

Incidentally, in the Q& A when someone asked about whether he's working on a sequel to this novel, he said yes, that he can't predict the time he has left or whether he'll finish it but that writing is what gives his life the most joy and purpose.
lots of good advice here. i can't say for sure, but i think i'd be put off if someone asked me for a blurb at a conference. it's a bit like an attack when all defenses are down. an email request would be the best way to go in my opinion.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service