I think the word is used a bit too liberally these days. Some mystery/suspense authors label their books thrillers because thrillers sell better than mysteries.

I think we all know a thriller when we see one, though.

Here's my definition:

A fast-paced drama pushing the envelope of credibility with situation and character (the protagonist often possessing or attaining nearly or downright superhuman qualities and/or a super sense of duty/morality, pitted against a villain of equal or greater strength), where the stakes are increasingly raised and ultimately include a large group of people or even the entire world.

As opposed to the gritty realism of the harboiled/noir detective or the cute incompetence of the cozy's amateur sleuth, where one or a handful of lives are at stake, thrillers play more with suspension of disbelief and global consequences.

James Bond, for example, is the perfect hero. He's fast, witty, clever, a chick magnet, physically strong, an expert at EVERYTHING...

He's a super man, his world has a completely different set of rules than ours, and he's thrown into battles that are seemingly impossible to win.

That's what makes a thriller, IMO.

Thoughts?

What makes a book a thriller?

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would work fine, Jon, if there weren't so many books. But you're right, I think the strict labelling means a lot of good books get missed by readers in one camp or another and I also think it keeps some good books that are tough to categorize from even getting published.

But rally, because the genre definitions are so loose there's a lot of room to move and you (or your publisher) can almost call a book anything you want.
SOTL, of course, generated another sub-genre--the serial killer novel. Great book, but not really a thriller in the classic sense.
Here's something relevant David Morell has said: "It’s interesting that, in recent years, some authors have blended elements of thrillers and mysteries into a hybrid (mostly involving serial killers) in which a detective’s solution to a heinous crime is presented in a harrowing fashion that is more typical of thrillers than mysteries."
The thriller definition is somewhat elastic, thank God. I hate formula. The main difference between the mystery and the thriller is that in the thriller the reader is aware of the villain (or the threat) from the start. The protagonist need not be a super hero, nor do we need to blow up the world. But the book needs to be a page turner, ratcheting up the danger as villain and protagonist move toward the final confrontation.

I'm actually working on a "literary, historical" thriller at the moment, so don't fence me in. :)
...a page turner, ratcheting up the danger as villain and protagonist move toward the final confrontation.

I would call that a suspense novel, I.J. The thriller definition has become so elastic, we really don't know what a thriller is anymore. That's my point. The definition has become vague, diluted with all kinds of books labeled as thrillers which are not really thrillers.
My view of the world:

Mystery -- The protag solves a puzzle.
Suspense -- The Protag is in serious danger while he solves the puzzle
Thriller -- The protag and huge numbers of other people are in danger while he solves the puzzle.
think you nailed it right there....
That's it in a nutshell, Jack.
In Canada, what makes a book a thriller is being shelved in 'fiction and literature' instead of 'mystery'. Drives me mad, because I never leave the 'mystery' section, but my stuff will be shelved 'fiction and literature'.

Ultimately, all that matters to me is what Dorchester says about it.

To quote:
THRILLER

These are exciting, fast-paced novels filled with high tension and gripping characters.

TECHNOTHRILLERS: Action-filled, contemporary or near-future thrillers with emphasis on cutting-edge technology, frequently featuring advanced jets, submarines, weaponry, etc. Conflict should be on a large, usually international, scale.

SUSPENSE THRILLERS: A dangerous criminal is on the loose and it’s one man’s (or woman’s) job to stop him before more people get hurt. Please note that this is not a Whodunit-type mystery. The question should not be who the killer is, but rather will he (or she) be stopped before killing again.

POLICE PROCEDURALS: Similar to a suspense thriller, but additional emphasis is placed on police methods, forensics and other means of tracking and capturing the killers. Sense of authenticity is important, and all details must be accurate.

POLITICAL THRILLERS: Fast-paced novels filled with intrigue and danger, usually set at least partly in Washington, but often with international scope. Authenticity is important and these novels should provide an insider’s view of the corridors of power.

LEGAL THRILLERS: Compelling novels of suspense in a legal or judicial setting. Avoid mysteries or Whodunits. Emphasis should not be on identifying a killer, but rather on a danger or threat to the main character.

MEDICAL THRILLERS: Exciting, fast-paced novels in a medical or scientific setting, usually dealing with a race to counter a medical threat.
Unless you shop at Sleuth of Baker Street, the whole store is the mystery section.
Yes, well, we don't all have specialty mystery bookstores nearby!
Well, there are enough crappy things about living in the big city, there've got to be a few perks, too.

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service