Has anyone else had to update clues, technologically for a later edition of a mystery?
Due to likely e-book adaptation, I've revisited a print published, junior mystery I wrote six computers ago. Twenty years on, rights had reverted,I couldn't find the back up disk and scanning was not viable for this kind of conversion, so it meant re-typing. I cursed.
But it's been an enlightening experience.
Although some references need updating, the actual mystery has survived with immediacy of details I’d forgotten. Art is a 10 year old sleuth, a poor reader but a resourceful problem-solver , with asthma who enters competitions under various names, and wins a giraffe.Inbetween is a greyhound scam. ‘Winning a Giraffe Called Geoffrey’ now is like reading someone else’s clues.
But certain details need updating:
There are three more books in the series which I’ve renamed ‘Project Spy’ Only two more books to retype as I’ve found the file of the fourth book. What a relief.
My new year’s resolutions include BETTER FILING!
Has anyone else had to update clues in adult crime or mystery stories?
Scans of that sort separate the images from the text. It's not just a scanning service. They do OCR.
However, retyping a short work can be useful. With a long work (or especially a series of long works) the cost of a OCR service is probably more than the cost of Abbyy software and a decent scanner to do it yourself.
I just found an old short story I want to send out or publish electronically. The protagonist has fallen down the stairs into the basement, and a friend finds her. In the original story he had to run up the stairs to get the phone. Of course, now he would have a cell. It was an easy fix.
Some stories would leave in their original time frame. (Hey, black boards and polaroids could be a history lesson to kids today.) That one I changed.