On oz_mystery_readers on Yahoo we recently read Fergus Hume's The Mystery of a Hansom Cab for discussion.

(http://www.austcrimefiction.org/index.php/Hume%2C_Fergus) if you want some details.

Originally published in 1886 it holds up really really well given the age - one participant in the discussion commented that it's a melodrama (but a good one) and I was struck again by the problems associated with reading books from previous eras. And this from somebody who has read 'em all :)

Personally I loved Fergus Hume's book and I'm really looking forward to getting time to read Madame Midas not just because it's set in Ballarat - which is the closest town to where I grew up. Another firm favourite (although not as old) is the Sjowall / Wahloo series from Sweden - fabulous books which I really enjoy.

What are the "aged" gems that you really enjoy and why?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard S Prather's Shell Scott books, Chandler of course, the couple of Day Keene's I've read I have really enjoyed, James M Cain...oh, and I absolutely loved James McKimmey's SQUEEZE PLAY. I have several old pulp novels lying around that I really need to get to.
Chandler, Hammett, Cain and Woolrich all hold up beautifully, for early 20th Century. But I have read the classics ever since I was 10 and tried Gone With The Wind, mistakenly chosen because the title made me think it would be about tornados. The Brontes and Poe came very early as well, so I kind of got used to older English way before other kids. One of the reasons I could get through Silas Marner back in Freshman English, while most others couldn't stop yawning.
Old Favorites ...

1. Jane Eyre

2. Collected Stories and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe.

3. Pride and Prejudice

4. Persuasion

5. GWTW

6. The Maltese Falcoln

7. Collected Works of Rudyard Kipling

8. Dracula

9. Wuthering Heights

10. Out of Africa

RSS

CrimeSpace Google Search

© 2024   Created by Daniel Hatadi.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service